Go

austeane

Team  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Team

• Instinct
    • Valor
    • Mystic

Its an absolutely genius idea for multiple reasons. Not only has it gotten people active and out and around because its a fun and nostalgic concept, but Google (where the game was created, in their incubator) is getting free Google maps access to everyones homes and the inside of businesses. Don't even have to spend the money to drive around in Google cars like they did in maps. 

Anyone worry about the geo-caching aspect of it? I have a couple active military friends who are in intelligence that have told me they are somewhat terrified of it if the information/servers fall into the wrong hands. The ability to know locations of everyone playing the game could be problematic eventually due to the type of world were currently living in. Snapchat, WhatsApp, and PS4, XBOXOne have been hell for the intelligence community. 

Its great to see people out and exploring their cities though. Nice way to meet people as well. 

Edited by Bardown26

My honest opinion about that whole thing is that if thats the reason you say you wont play it, then you just didn't want to play it anyway.  In the age we live in, everything you do is stored somewhere.  I'm not a doomsday-er or Anti-Doomsday-er but in the grand scheme of things, if they are going to get that info anyway somehow, id rather enjoy playing a game that is based off of my favorite childhood show/game then worry about my data being logged somewhere.

As far as data getting in to the wrong hands: people who want to do bad things will find ways to get that data regardless of which avenues they get it from.  In today's technology driven world, if your major concern is "are they saving my data?" then you might as well live under a rock.

Not attacking anyone just sharing my general opinion on the raised question.  

• Like 1

Nope you are 100% right. I think the argument of people that they don't like to have people watching what they are doing online/in a game like that are forgetting all the other apps on their phone/tablet/computer that are tracking data and location without them even knowing. Its just cause the game is at the forefront that its getting talked about more in that context currently.

I am interested to see how much data usage will spike on the first billing cycle though! xD

Edited by Bardown26

I do limit my play due to dataplan I mostly grab pokemon that wonder by my home.  

Its Orwellian to think about but social media could be a tool to drive another holocaust.  If any group in power every wanted to segregate people by race, ideology, interests, region, education, past travel destinations, sexual preference the internet is now a database of that information and where they are at all times.  I am not fearful of that in a way I encourage access to stop it.  The digital age and lack of privacy is an inevitability we are all along on the ride for.

Edited by fukufuji

I changed plans this week so i wouldn't blow data. Gf and i have popped 3 10km eggs in the last week. its great. sucks my new puppy can only make it to the pokestop across the street. my ascent to greatness has been curtailed. I can still stomp that 10 year old across the street when he tries to hold the gym, i put a cp 50 rattata in after so he can always take it back though.  

i think we are underestimating people if we think that with a flip of a button a faceless entity can pit everyone against someone else. there is certainly power there but it only took a week before we saw team Harmony appear. only a week before we saw players give first aid to a miscarrying mother and other awesome examples of people doing awesome things that they normally wouldn't.

and i agree you're being tracked regardless if you're playing Pokemon GO, its probably damn hard to be off the grid. 

Team Valor for the win!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...