Lets fix Montreal Canadiens Thread

Vegeta

Is MB waiting for something to materialize out of thin air or does he have something in store in near future ? 

From the conference call with markov, apparently MB wanted to wait a couple more months to discuss further with markov. Does this mean he has something brewing or he is blowing smoke ?

I see it as Weber and Alzner, Petry and Benn, and then the other guys (Schlemko, Streit, Davidson, and Jerabek) all rotating through the last two spots until something sticks. That top four is definitely cause for concern given how inconsistent Benn was at times.

I guess for spots five and six it would be Streit and Jerabek getting most of the minutes and, in a best case scenario, not being completely terrible.

Edited by RegDunlop

57 minutes ago, Ralphdog said:

Ive got a soft spot for Davidson. I though given the right opportunity in Edmonton, he could have proven a very capable 5-6 .  The door is wide open for him now. I think by seasons end, he has that spot on lock.

He was actually given the opportunity, and absolutely killed it for us two years ago. Looked like a very solid 2nd pair D. Took a step back last year (sophomore slump, if you will), but he's got the fight to be better than #5-6. Cheering like hell for him, I was so choked we dumped him.

I don't agree with all this Habs negativity ,it's only August 3rd and we got approx 9 million cap space,let's see what MB does with that

If nothing else ,Drouin will be spectacular ,we go get a stud French Canadian ( please do not oversight the importance of that in this market) and even the local Frnch press bitches we gave up a puck moving D ( who has played 0 NHL games)

We have arguably the best goalie in hockey ,arguably the best shut down D-Man in hockey( and a few other pieces at Def that could surprise ,not too mention Alzner who is very solid) ,can rival any team at LW ( 4 lines) and have a very well respected Stanley Cup winning coach

Yeah ,I know the C issue ,I know the absence of puck moving D  ,I'm well aware we scored 0 goals against the Rangers ( ok maybe 1) but I don't think this team is nearly as broken as a lot of people are thinking

Let's spend that 9 million wisely ,it doesn't even have to be right now and I can see a lot of good things out of this team

• Like 1

Curious to see what the plan is. They've got $9M to spend, which is great, but Christmas is over and only "misfit toys" are left on the shelves.

Speaking of which, here's an idea. While they're not signing centres, why not bring in Jagr, put him next to Plekanec, and see what happens? I personally have been wanting to see a late-career Jagr don the bleu-blanc-rouge for a long time. Maybe it finally happens this year? To paraphrase Kermit the Frog, "someday we'll find it, the Kladno Connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me..."

Could Tavares feel his career has been hurt playing home games on one of the worst ice surfaces in the NHL? If I hated going to practice because of the ice surface, going to a place with great ice could be very enticing. I wonder how much Tavares feels his home ice has held him back from being a top 5 player in the NHL.

5 hours ago, Salros said:

Could Tavares feel his career has been hurt playing home games on one of the worst ice surfaces in the NHL? If I hated going to practice because of the ice surface, going to a place with great ice could be very enticing. I wonder how much Tavares feels his home ice has held him back from being a top 5 player in the NHL.

I don't know but if you trade him to me in the IFHL I'll find out.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

So for the Canadian Fans, where do you go from here??

Badly constructed team by Bergeron in my opinion. 

Not great defensive depth, pretty shallow forward depth and Price struggling a bit. 

Got a lot of cap space, but the GM has to make the right roster decisions and was the Price contract the right decision?

Thoughts........

Somehow Therrien always managed to get strong start from his teams, which ended up boosting their final points totals above their true worth.

As Zipper says, this team (from the games or partial games I've seen) is not as bad as their record indicates. But they're still mediocre and will be struggling for a playoff spot.

I'll never get over the Subban trade, and I still can't f****ing believe tight pants let Markov walk.

Personally, I'd be looking to trade Price+ for a C and a lesser G. Price and Galchenyuk for RNH and Talbot kinda deal. Although I imagine the Oils would not be able to afford those contracts next season.

Edited by Thunder
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Thunder said:

Somehow Therrien always managed to get strong start from his teams, which ended up boosting their final points totals above their true worth.

As Zipper says, this team (from the games or partial games I've seen) is not as bad as their record indicates. But they're still mediocre and will be struggling for a playoff spot.

I'll never get over the Subban trade, and I still can't f****ing believe tight pants let Markov walk.

Personally, I'd be looking to trade Price+ for a C and a lesser G. Price and Galchenyuk for RNH and Talbot kinda deal. Although I imagine the Oils would not be able to afford those contracts next season.

dont like that were giving the  top 2 players and the 2 youngest one

49 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

dont like that were giving the  top 2 players and the 2 youngest one

I may be massively undervaluing what Price can get you in a trade. I'll definitely concede that. It's hard to know what the artist formerly known as "best goalie in the world" on the biggest goalie contract in the world is worth.

But I'll bet you a ham sandwich 31 out of 31 NHL GMs say RNH is a better hockey player than Galchenyuk.

6m x4 career 43%  in the circle toi 19:04

2013-14 Edmonton Oilers NHL 80 19 37 56 26 -12 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15 Edmonton Oilers NHL 76 24 32 56 25 -12 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Edmonton Oilers NHL 55 12 22 34 18 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Edmonton Oilers NHL 82 18 25 43 29 -10 13 0 4 4 2

4.9m x3 career 45% avg toi 15:23

2013-14 Montreal Canadiens NHL 65 13 18 31 26 -12 5 2 1 3 2
2014-15 Montreal Canadiens NHL 80 20 26 46 39 8 12 1 3 4 10
2015-16 Montreal Canadiens NHL 82 30 26 56 20 -8          
2016-17 Montreal Canadiens NHL 61 17 27 44 24 -5 6 0 3 3 4

how is that  better   and  those stats mainly are  rnh playing with  eberler and hall vs  eller or any other combination of no skill foward on a non scoring team...