Lets fix Montreal Canadiens Thread

Vegeta

Sit the kid on the bench. Sit the kid in the press box. 4th line minutes and the constant shuffle are not going to ignite the kid. 

If you haven't noticed we're losing anyways. Slap him in nets if that's what it's going to take to get him a little consistency.

My opinion is put him second line center where he was supposed to be playing from the get go and watch him suck until he doesn't suck or send the kid packing for a rondelle and deux hotdog and cut your losses.

6 minutes ago, Duxburger said:

Marner is doing fine on the fourth line in Toronto ?!? Just saying! 

Alex needs to stop feeling sorry for him self and play some fringing hockey 

Not every player is the same. They have literally tried everything else. We all know the talent is there.  Stop fucking with the kid and let him play. Or send him to Colorado so he can reunite with Yakupov and they can suck together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunder said:

He started on the first line against LAK Oct. 18. He sucked and took two successive penalties in the first, leading to LAK's first goal. One shot on goal.

He played again on the first line against ANA the next game. Habs got 50+ shots that night. Galchenyuk? 1 shot in 18 TOI.

They are paying him 4.9M a year. Having him play on the 4th line is the worst possible outcome for them. They're not doing this because they're big bad meanies.

Byron started the season on the 4th line even after scoring 20+ goals last season. He's worked his way back up to a top six role. If Byron can do it, so can Galchenyuk. Nothing would please Julien and Bergevin more. However they may feel about the individual, they understand that they have the most to gain in having him contribute to the success of their team. 

Jesus Christ!.. That was well said.

Well said, yes, but the fact remains that Therrien messed with this kid from day one, and now the damage is done. Inconsistent opportunity, a persistent desire to reward non-talented "sandpaper" guys (see Weise, Dale and De La Rose, Jacob), and the refusal to give the kid a real chance at C have messed with his head. Only a fresh start in a new city can save Chucky's game at this point.

The mismanagement (and disdain, yes, disdain) of high-level talent has been chronic under Bergevin. I think it comes down to jealousy and resentment - he wishes he could have had half the talent of Markov, Radu, or Chucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyQswGcQiN0

• Like 1

The reason I'm not on board with the "Therrien messed him up theory" is that Galchenyuk was actually progressing well under his tutelage. If you just look at his points total, you'll see a constant progression from year to year, culminating with a 30 g and 56 pt season in 15-16. Before he got injured in 16-17, he was on pace to eclipse the previous year's total. But for whatever reason, he hasn't been the same since returning from that injury.

And not only has he not improved after Therrien's firing, he's gotten worst. I don't know what's behind that, but I really don't believe it's Therrien. 

I also agree with management's assessment that he's better off on the wing. Relieves him of the extra defensive duties and let's him focus on what he should be excelling at.

The best idea I heard to deal with Galchenyuk is trade him to another team. You're not going to get much but I don't think he can work through the mental barrier he's created in Montreal because of the mismanagement. But Thunder's observation is correct. If Galchenyuk could accept the demotion and work his way to a promotion, the Canadiens could get a decent return for him. 

with the woes the team is going through. put him in a second line winger or C slot. and leave him there for 20 games. Same linemates  ,same time same place. Tell him this is what's happening and let him work through it. I'd put money down once the pressure is off he finds his groove again. 

Edited by leevaughn

Another Habs prospect that has not lived up to the hype is Martin Reway. I saw the kid( 5'9" 175 lbs) play at the WJC a couple years back and it was obvious that the whole Czech offensive game plan ran through him. If he was on the ice, his teammates were competing to see who could give him the puck the most.

Ive seen him play three games this season  with the Laval Rocket and he is almost invisible on the ice other than to notice how disconnected he is from the style of play now that he is playing with grown men. And now this .....

image.png

9 hours ago, Ralphdog said:

Another Habs prospect that has not lived up to the hype is Martin Reway. I saw the kid( 5'9" 175 lbs) play at the WJC a couple years back and it was obvious that the whole Czech offensive game plan ran through him. If he was on the ice, his teammates were competing to see who could give him the puck the most.

Ive seen him play three games this season  with the Laval Rocket and he is almost invisible on the ice other than to notice how disconnected he is from the style of play now that he is playing with grown men. And now this .....

image.png

That's too bad. I was excited to see him back. He's been through a lot and may need to take it a little slower and be in a familiar environment as a first step.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So with all the rumours around the Habs, just wanted to bump this thread and see what people think is going on or have some insider info !! 

Max on his way out ? Bergervin out ? Or are the Habs screwed if Marc takes the reigns on the rebuild ? 

I personally hope nobody moves unles management is changed, what French speaking GM is available lol ?!? 

Edited by Duxburger

Do we think Timmins is another that should be booted for poor drafting, does this only fall on Bergevin ? 

If rumours are true about max and they're looking for a younger scorer, we should be looking for a centre.

and if we do acquire a C, the. Maybe we can send drouin back to the wing.

he hasn't been the best up the middle IMO,

put galchenyuk back up the middle and stop screwing with the kid !

22 hours ago, Duxburger said:

Do we think Timmins is another that should be booted for poor drafting, does this only fall on Bergevin ? 

If rumours are true about max and they're looking for a younger scorer, we should be looking for a centre.

and if we do acquire a C, the. Maybe we can send drouin back to the wing.

he hasn't been the best up the middle IMO,

put galchenyuk back up the middle and stop screwing with the kid !

I'd keep Timmins. He drafted what was supposed to be our Cup-contending core: Price, Subban, Patches, McDonagh, Chucky, and Gally. He's got a good track record. The blame falls squarely on Bergevin's shoulders. He has failed at everything, from making trades (Drouin, Weber), to making personnel decisions (Chucky at wing), to signing free agents (too many to list here), to re-signing players (Radulov, Markov). I'd even put Price in that last category - a good negotiator would have had him come in at lower than 10 million a year. And as I've mentioned before, Bergevin consistently fails at choosing socially acceptable pants.

3voHnSb.jpg

• Like 2

On 2018-01-01 at 5:30 PM, RegDunlop said:

I'd keep Timmins. He drafted what was supposed to be our Cup-contending core: Price, Subban, Patches, McDonagh, Chucky, and Gally. He's got a good track record. The blame falls squarely on Bergevin's shoulders. He has failed at everything, from making trades (Drouin, Weber), to making personnel decisions (Chucky at wing), to signing free agents (too many to list here), to re-signing players (Radulov, Markov). I'd even put Price in that last category - a good negotiator would have had him come in at lower than 10 million a year. And as I've mentioned before, Bergevin consistently fails at choosing socially acceptable pants.

3voHnSb.jpg

Oh my god, Bergevin is actually the Joker! Quick, someone turn on the Bat-signal.

34 minutes ago, jawlesscdizzle said:

is it the captaincy or the crushing force of the montreal fanbase and media ?  

It might not be either. The guy has scored at a 30+ goal pace every year since 2010-11 (with little to no supporting cast). He's seen his faire share of pressure in Montreal and it hasn't fazed him. Maybe he's just lost his touch for a bit?

In any event, I don't think he's the problem, but the reality seems to be that he is the only player left of any significant value, so I think they have to shop him anyway. I wonder what the realistic expectation on a return would be.

Edited by RegDunlop