Worst And Best Free Agent signings on July 1st

bill0755

Going to move this to NHL News and make this our official thread!

Signings so far:

Adam Clendening to Arizona - $650k x 1 year
Chad Johnson to Buffalo - $2.5m x 1 year
Benoit Pouliot to Buffalo - $1.15m x 1 year
Justin Williams to Carolina - $4.5m x 2 years
Patrick Sharp to Chicago - $800k x 1 year
Jordan Oesterle to Chicago - $650k x 2 years
Jonathan Bernier to Colorado - $2.75m x 1 year
Martin Hanzal to Dallas - $4.75m x 3 years
Tyler Pitlick to Dallas - $1m x 3 years
Trevor Daley to Detroit - $3.178m x 3 years
Nick Bonino to Nashville - $4.1m x 4 years
Kevin Shattenkirk to NYR - $6.65m x 4 years
Ondrej Pavelec to NYR - $1.3m x 1 year
Brian Elliott to Philadelphia - $2.75m x 2 years
Matt Hunwick to Pittsburgh - $2.25m x 3 years
Antti Niemi to Pittsburgh - $700k x 1 year
Marc-Edouard Vlasic Re-signs in San Jose - $7m x 6 years
Martin Jones Re-signs in San Jose - $5.75m x 6 years
Dan Girardi to Tampa - $3m x 2 years
Sam Gagner to Vancouver - $3.15m x 3 years
Michael Del Zotto to Vancouver - $3m x 2 years
Anders Nilsson to Vancouver - $2.5m x 2 years
Dmitry Kulikov to Winnipeg - $4.33m x 3 years
Steve Mason to Winnipeg - $4.1m x 2 years

Fairly happy with the AAV on the Alzner signing. Do wish we could have added a puck moving LHD, though. Now starting to worry we haven't re-signed Markov yet. Never expected him to go UFA. 

I can't understand for the life of me why the Habs weren't in the convo for Hanzal.

Mason in WPG sucks for Helly owners, I would think.

Edited by Thunder

27 minutes ago, Thunder said:

Mason in WPG sucks for Helly owners, I would think.

When Mason fails, Hellebuyck will be the savoir and he'll become an important goalie for Winnipeg for a number of years.

As to Kulikov, when he plays, does many things well and is very reliable. But it is FA frenzy day and many contracts signed on this day have become buyouts later on. In 2 years though, 4.3 million won't look that bad when the elite dman in the League will be signing for over 10 million.

Do they have room for Markov still?  They have 13 mill, need to re-sign Galchenyuk, and still need to replace Redulov or add a C.  

Markov seems like a good fir for Toronto now.  Can sign him for a deal that will expire when Marner and Nylander get a raise.  

Always liked Markov. He has a quiet way about him and he never wanted attention ahead of the team. I think he's been underrated at times and come out on top consistently. Not often anymore that you could say and actually mean, "I'll be sad if he goes"

Edited by Ralphdog

I'd agree Alzner is a #3/4-type at this stage. Those defensive types seem to peak early.

@Thunder - I'm curious about your thoughts on Morrow and how he fits in. I had the luxury of playing summer hockey with him a few years ago, and he was phenomenal. Not as good as Pysyk at the time, but his poise was ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, djb738 said:

As a Canes fan, I love the Williams signing. That team desperately needs some goal scoring forwards and Williams is just that. Plus, he has already won a cup in Carolina so maybe that is a sign of things to come.

Carolina seems absolutely poised to take a significant step forward this year. You have what's looking like a stellar D, a new starting goalie in Darling, and a lot of legit NHL forwards with upside. Maybe still looking for that #1C, but otherwise it's looking *really* good for next year. Adding Williams to that locker room only helps.