Worst And Best Free Agent signings on July 1st

bill0755

7 hours ago, Zipper14 said:

Do they have room for Markov still?  They have 13 mill, need to re-sign Galchenyuk, and still need to replace Redulov or add a C.  

Markov seems like a good fir for Toronto now.  Can sign him for a deal that will expire when Marner and Nylander get a raise.  

My assumption has always been the Drouin trade means Radulov won't be re-signed. But it sounds like they are still talking, so I may be wrong. Personally, I think they need Markov more, but much depends on whether they're keeping Galch.

4 hours ago, byz said:

I'd agree Alzner is a #3/4-type at this stage. Those defensive types seem to peak early.

@Thunder - I'm curious about your thoughts on Morrow and how he fits in. I had the luxury of playing summer hockey with him a few years ago, and he was phenomenal. Not as good as Pysyk at the time, but his poise was ridiculous.

That's pretty cool. I'm sure the plan is for him to be 7/8 with Davidson, but I'm curious to see if he can still deveop into something more. Maybe it's getting a little late, though.

2 hours ago, Thunder said:

That's pretty cool. I'm sure the plan is for him to be 7/8 with Davidson, but I'm curious to see if he can still deveop into something more. Maybe it's getting a little late, though.

Dman usulu only blossom at 24-26 but  why woild boaton ley him go if he had any upside tho

For the Penguins

- Kunitz @ 2.0M ( would have been nice to keep him, but at his age probably good time to move on)

- Bonino @ 4.1M ( Pens could not pay up $4.1 for 3rd line center)

- Daley @ $3.1M ( Prefer him to Hunwick at the Hunwick contract as 6-7 dman, but not at $3.1M.)

+ Hunwick @ 2.2M (good replacement value for Daley, offers some speed and good depth dman )

+ Niemi @ .700 (real good value for Murray backup as allows cap money to sign Dumo, Sheary and 3rd line center )

Pens did lost alot of locker room character, but sometime good to get a infusion of new guys who would also be hungry for a cup.

Time will tell what GMJR does to get a 3rd line center, but based on his track record, have to trust he will fill that role with the a good fit for their lineup.

I do like the Reaves deal, as he is a good skater/forechecker and is not a waste of a 4th line spot on someone like Sesito. Only real downside to the deal is the Kostin ends up as a stud 1st or 2nd line winger, but as with any deal there are risks.

13 minutes ago, Bagwell said:

In exchange for a second as well though, right? In essence, the other team moved down ~20 spots. 

Yes, Reaves and they flipped the Pens first with the STL 2nd. High price to pay, but do feel Reaves will at least make is PRESENCE KNOWN on the ice should Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel take any future cheapshots. Pens time is still open another cup as long as they keep the core intact, and tweat the roster where necessary. Again hate to give up a first and the ability to add someone like Kostin, but tough decision by GMJR, and feel it was the right move at the right time for the Pens

I don't think Marleau's signing is that bad. I can see the logic. The Leafs needed a veteran who knows what it is like to be a winner. If he can help the young talent in Toronto get even better, it will be all worth it. And when Matthews signs a new contract (12+ million) in 2019-20, Marleau can easily be bought out. And this signing doesn't happen without Babcock. He knows Marleau from coaching the Canadian National team.

30 minutes ago, Salros said:

I don't think Marleau's signing is that bad. I can see the logic. The Leafs needed a veteran who knows what it is like to be a winner. If he can help the young talent in Toronto get even better, it will be all worth it. And when Matthews signs a new contract (12+ million) in 2019-20, Marleau can easily be bought out. And this signing doesn't happen without Babcock. He knows Marleau from coaching the Canadian National team.

But its from 2014 thats when marleau was 34 , marleau playoff track record isnt stellar either 

Edited  though he wasnt on the team in 14

Edited by Vegeta

no matter how you slice it  I dont like Marleau deal,  I tought they had a pretty  Potent Offensive line , leafs are for  real ( habs fan here )
The only reason we keep trashing them is because we have Price
 Montreal   Defense is Slightly better than Toronto
Montreal Goaltending is   Vastly Superior to anyone in the league
Toronto offense  is Light years   better than montreal

Edited by Vegeta

2 hours ago, Vegeta said:

Montreal Goaltending is   Vastly Superior to anyone in the league

I wouldn't want to debate with Washington and Columbus fans on this one. A few years ago, Price was by far the best goalie in the league. Since his injury, a group of young elite goalies have matured and now Price is among the best. Personally, I think Montreal has made a big mistake signing a goalie with a developing injury history for for 8 years at 10.5 million. This is what happens when you have a history of losing a top goalie. You become very determined to not let it happen again.

price is the only way we ever have a shot at lord stanley with this overall team.  basicly  the only difference between mtl and a perenial bottom feeder ( read vancouver) is price, oyr prospect pool is empty,  we have 2top 6foward in pacioretty,drouin maybe 3 with galchenyuk 1 #1 dman  in  weber , no #1 &#2C , price is the reason fir 3 division title in 5 year (1point short of  4/5)  gets hurt once and the whole team crumble ( read lose 22  of 25 game in a row , 18 of which were 1 goal game) 

with that beeing said  10.5m is to much for a goalie , but you cant find em you cant trade for em, you just have to draft them and pray.  so just lock up what you have and hope drouin and galchenyuk turn into perenial 75point monster

I agree with Veg - this has been true for a while and it's the problem. Montreal has spent much of the last 25 years trying to build a team that looks like the '93 champs, on the assumption that if you have a superstar goalie, it doesn't really matter that you have no talent up front. Problem is, that's not a successful model anymore - the days of guys like Roy, Hasek, and Vanbeisbrouck carrying mediocre teams to the finals are long gone.

That said, I don't think we can argue with the Price signing too much - I bet Holtby gets something similar in a few years, and it's kind of in line with the 8.5 Lundqvist got a few years back, accounting for inflation (and the difference in talent). We must get rid of Bergevin, though, because if he can't build a winner with Carey only having a cap hit of 6.5, he's not going to be able to do it when Carey's eating up 4 million more (this last comment may also apply to Price's PCFL owner, but that's another story).