Something Interesting happened to me.

Bluecharm

So I have mentioned that my wife and I play competitive bridge.  So we are in Toronto at the North American Bridge championship.  so we sit down to play an afternoon session against another pair, which happens to include the one and only BILL freakin' GATES.  So we played a couple of hours against one of the richest and most successful people in the world.  Very pleasant match which we narrowly lost,  I am looking for a rematch!

Bluecharm (Jim)

GNFL and NAFL

• Like 2

Well he dressed modestly and was just quiet and respectful.  So was his partner, Sharon somebody.  We really respected his privacy and just told him it was an honor to meet him.  He was very modest and unassuming and we all quietly concentrated on our cards for the most part.  Bridge at that level is a very cerebral activity, so to speak.   He was a real gentleman, and trust me I've met a few A'holes at the table.  There wasn't a hint of arrogance whatsoever.  I think he really appreciated us just sticking to the game for the most part.  I was really impressed with the man, and I think he enjoyed playing at our table.  But It was really cool for us.  Won't forget it.

We all put on pants one leg at a time. It's great to meet notable people who don't act like everyone should treat them differently. I've meet a number of big headed people of power who can't stand to be treated like everyone else.

A few years ago, my parents were playing in a National Bridge Tournament in Hilton Head, SC and they played against both Gates and Buffett. My mother is secretly in love with Buffett so it was all she could talk about for a week. Unfortunately, she couldn't help herself but talk stocks with him.

Edited by Salros
  • Like 1

Yes.  Apparently Warren Buffett was there somewhere too.  They both attend big tourneys regularly.  As do my wife and I.  The way the competition is set up players of similar abilities are set up to play against of same or approx same level.  so it is not a shock that it happened but odds were against it in any case.  Thousands attend these tourneys.  This one is at the metro convention center in Toronto.

Nice random encounter with the richest person in human history.  Not something that happens every day.  Actually you met him on the day he was the second richest person in human history but only for a moment by the end of the day he was the richest again making it even more random.