Drafting Moments

Salros

I love to draft. If I did what I wanted, I'd draft a team every year. But, how many CHA teams can one person handle? I don't think we know the answer to that one but Ralphdog is testing the boundaries.

We've all had this one. It's what makes live drafting so much fun. You're 2 picks away from making your selection. You've analyzed where your team is at. You decide which position you should fill next. You've filtered through all the available options and now you're one pick away from selecting the one you want. Then, he's gone. You see his name go on the board and a wave of emotions hits you as your brain explodes with thoughts of evil retaliation, lost, panic and wishing you had a 2nd option. You look at the clock. It is already down to 2min30sec from 3 minutes. It's at this moment you feel most like a GM at an NHL draft. And it's been these moments that I believe most of my drafting mistakes have been made. So when I get in this situation now, I make a conscience effort to make a safe pick and move on. If life wasn't so damn busy, it would have been great to keep our Inaugural Draft live for the 21 rounds. But the 8 rounds we did complete was so, so much fun.

Edited by Salros

• 2 weeks later...

This was me last year in the PCFL draft.  I'm not sure what happened in the PCFL last year, but a lot of GMs (including myself) picked in to the third round.   This caught me off guard, and I ended up getting scooped and having to go with plan Bs or Cs.

I was targeting Vlasic with the 11h pick, he went at 10 and I grabbed Gudas.  That worked out way better than I could have imagined.

I wanted Brassard with the 25th pick.  He went at 23, so I grabbed De Haan.  Brassard didn't live up to expectations, but De Haan did, and his contract stayed reasonable after RFA.

Right after I picked De Haan, Staal went.  I was choked.  I really thought I could grab him at the end of the draft (what was I thinking?).  I also had Henrique and Backlund in mind for that slot but they were taken in the first round.  I settled with Anisimov and really didn't like that pick.  He turned out to be very solid (way better than my first choice, Brassard) and helped me win the league.

I actually walked away from that draft thinking it was a disaster, but I won the league thanks in large part to those players.  There was a lot of luck there for me.  

31 minutes ago, byz said:

I grabbed Henrique in the 1st round. Figured "30 goals for $4 mil? Easy pick!"

Then he got bumped off Hall's line. Then he played a large chunk of the year on the wing. Bad turn of events for me :(

I think Henrique was my second choice for the C spot. I didn't see how he could miss, and he was one of the first members The Half Centaurs ever added to jv, so I have a soft spot for him.  Maybe he'll rebound this year??