Gord Downie

RegDunlop

This post isn't strictly about hockey, but whatever. Canada lost a giant today. For the non-Canadians in the forum, Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip were like Canada's Bruce Springsteen, except that they weren't world-famous superstars, and they didn't really care... which makes them all the more emblematic of Canadian culture.

I thought I'd post a few links to some of the Hip's most famous songs referencing the great Canadian game, for those non-Canadians who might not be familiar with Downie and his work.

50 Mission Cap, which is about Bill Barilko - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-t8W4X8Obo

Fireworks, which references the Summit Series - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9wW9ENBPlQ

Heaven is a Better Place Today, which was inspired by the Thrashers' stoicism after Dan Snyder's death - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvmAaYCk11E

Enjoy.

• Like 7

A man who knew where his roots were. A man who cared. A man the world will miss but particularly Canadians who knew him best. A man who showed us all how to pass on with grace when one knows they're dying. I will miss you Mr. Downie but I'll listen to your words through your music until the day I die.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zipper14 said:

It's a tough day for me, and we knew it was coming. Gord was a poet who sang a lot about Canadian history - perfect music for a history and English teacher. 

Don't tell me what the poets are doing, Zipper :)

The Tragically Hip - Poets

I wish my history and English teachers had sat us down to study Gord's lyrics. The man was indeed a brilliant poet - and freestyler - his famous live rants (as seen in the video above) were awesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RegDunlop said:

Don't tell me what the poets are doing, Zipper :)

The Tragically Hip - Poets

I wish my history and English teachers had sat us down to study Gord's lyrics. The man was indeed a brilliant poet - and freestyler - his famous live rants (as seen in the video above) were awesome.

Gord's lyrics are usually a little too deep for my students, and he's not current, so it just makes me look old :) . But I do quote some lyrics when teaching history, and I pull random examples when teaching English things like personification and imagery (ex: constellations reveal themselves one star at a time). 

2 hours ago, Zipper14 said:

Gord's lyrics are usually a little too deep for my students, and he's not current, so it just makes me look old :) . But I do quote some lyrics when teaching history, and I pull random examples when teaching English things like personification and imagery (ex: constellations reveal themselves one star at a time). 

Awesome. Hopefully, your students will get into the Hip - I like to think their music is timeless, but maybe that's because I'm old too... 

I went to see them years ago. It was awesome. I didn't realize at the time how many songs they had that were embedded in my head. The whole concert was like "hey ! I know this". They were awesome that night and a big fan was born.

I went to see the last tour in Edmonton. It was amazing. Really good show. He was a great front man. Electric and engaging.

R.I.P. Gord. Thank You