I need somebody to explain

leevaughn

3 hours ago, leevaughn said:

Somebody please explain these things to me.

Las Vegas Knights????

The Duchene Jinx on Ottawa and Colorado?

John Klingberg??? 

Danton Heinen??

Kopitar and Brown?

The Oilers Woes??

I’ll take a stab at a few. 

1) Fringe guys are better than most think. All they need is ice time and confidence of the organization. 

This is why it’s so hard to evaluate prospects. Skill isn’t the only factor. Favour of the coach/GM is huge. 

2) Duchene isn’t that big of an upgrade over Turris. Turris knew the complicated system and it’ll take Duchene awhile to get it. The Sens got a lot of luck last year. Aaaand teams are starting to figure ways around Boucher’s systems. 

3/4) ???? Heinen’s shooting % is a little high...?

5) Kopi has a bad year last year. This year he’s back to normal, and is getting a little luck. 

6) The Oilers traded their best wingers and now lack secondary scoring. They also still lack top pairing dmen. The league has also started to adjust to McDavid’s speed, but I’m sure he’ll figure things out. 

• Like 2

I'll join Zip.

1) I think Zip nailed it. This isn't a team of 4th line fringe players, it's a team of 2nd/3rd liners with (arguably) 1-2 1st liners and a legit starting goalie. The thing that keeps those guys out of the league is consistency, but if the team is forced to play them, eventually they figure it out. Vegas just has enough of those kinds of guys where they shuffled in the legit players quick enough.

2) Turris is pigeonholed as a 2C for some reason. In my mind, he's somewhere in the #25-30 best C's in the league - essentially a low #1C. Duchene's slightly better when he figures it out (IMO). Ottawa would've been better off improving their depth, considering Ryan, Burrows, Smith all dropped off a cliff and MacArthur is probably done.

3) Klingberg is QB'ing a team that found its mojo again?

4) He found some chemistry with Riley Nash and I'm going to ride the Nash rocket to championship?

5) Kings got a new coach. Tried building my team around them as much as I could this year (Toffoli, Doughty, Kuemper) because that core is still elite. Carter's hurt, but Kopitar really is damn good. I'm guessing Brown may have been on the outs with Sutter.

6) Oilers special teams is historically bad. Like, the PK is under 70% now I believe. You're just not going to win giving up 2-3 freebie goals every game. Also while it's ridiculous how many non-calls McDavid gets, it's not like the PP is much better either. Chiarelli made the team worse in the off-season (Russell signing, downgrading Eberle, not adding anyone), but I'm now pointing the finger at the stubbornness of the coaching staff. One other small note - man, we got Lucic. But that guy has been all but silent. Team's losing? Cause some ruckus man, c'mon!

• Like 1

my 2  cents...

1. solid team construction all around. always starts with strong goaltending and Fleury has been one of the top goalies during the regular season over the past several years. honestly in hindsight, Rutherford should have sold high and traded Murray and keep Fleury. Great teammate and locker room presence. No fluke in LV, you win with a 4 speed and 4 solid lines, mobile D and solid and at times great goaltending. this team will make the playoffs and give some team a real headache in the 1st round.

2. a real enigma that's for sure. only 26, and two more years, this year and next at $6M then UFA. maybe he just needs to find a place where he can slid in as 2-3 line center. scored 67 and 70 points in a season, so talent is there, just went bad in Colorado, and trade to Ottawa put a lot of pressure on him to perform, and that has not happened yet. Stupid trade by Ottawa as doubtful he will resign with them after next year and he will try to find the right fit for his game. Karlsson and Duchene UFA'S after next season, good  luck with that Ottawa..

3.Klingberg starting to heat up, 3 points last night. Great value contract at 4.250 for next 5 years and at 24, best is yet to come. 

4.Heinen, nice 3 round pick, great numbers at Denver and BCHL days. Slotted nicely in Boston and great ELC contract value the next two years. 

5.Kopitar and Brown, they have always been good to great players this year found some good chemistry. Both coming off bad years, but that happens over a long career. Brown had great years in 2011 and 2012, then signed that long term deal at 5.875 that runs for another 4 years after this year and he is 32. Great year, bad contract value for those later years. Kopitar should continue to be a solid 70 point player, and with an 8 year contract at AVV at $10M, he better be.

6. Last year was a magical year for the oilers as they clicked on all cylinders. first starts in G, and if your G is not solid, that's a problem. Talbot had a great year last year, this year really struggling at 3.09 GAA and 903%. don't see them making the playoffs, now a real longshot. question is what happens next as coming off a season where they almost made the western conference finals to missing the playoffs. sure the oiler fans are very frustrated.Chiarelli.  well good news as with their amateur drafting luck and the new lottery system, maybe the get another #1 pick.

7 Penguins...tough year, Murray has really not made the timely saves but Jarry certainly has exceeded my expectations. Would have loved a Jarry-Fluery combo and Murray traded for some needed depth at forward. this team as played a lot of hockey over the past two years, at some point the tank gets a bit empty both physically and emotionally. lost a lot of heart and locker room presence in Kuny, Cullen, Daley, Bonino and Fleury and have not come close to replacing their F depth. Will they even make the playoffs, at this point not too sure as they play great one game and then don't show up for the next game. cannot continue to trade futures (amateur picks) as feel they need to start looking toward post Geno and Sid days and start building a solid foundation of young depth at forward and D. JR pinned himself in a corner on D with the Schultz and Dumo contracts and the trade for Reaves has paid no dividends. tough to pay any dividends with player average TOI is probably 7 minutes a game. could see a year where last years  eastern conference finalists (Ottawa-Pgh) don't even make the playoffs. Still a die hard fan and hope they can find lighting in a bottle the second half of the year and sneak into a wild card position.

• Like 1