Freaking Pens

Thunder

Pens have lived rent free in Holtby’s head for the last 2 playoff years. 

If Malkin does return for game to and Pens get back to a decent 4 line without Rowney, and Caps go down 2-0, it gets very bleak for the Caps. 

Pretty sure the Pens lost the draft lottery to the Caps and the Caps selected Ovy and with the 2nd pick the Pens selected Malkin. That draft lottery luck has benefited the Pens with 3 Cups and Caps never got out of the 2nd round. 

99243B4A-9401-4C28-AFCC-863A208F3396.jpeg

74F7D978-7A8C-45B2-A4DA-0C92D52964F0.jpeg

Edited by bill0755

There's no denying the Pens have plenty of talent (although I will rip on their crappy defence all day), but they have had an easier road than most teams the past couple of seasons. They definitely live in the heads of their division opponents, which turns the Caps and Jackets into the Arizona Coyotes come playoff time. However, I really believe the Flyers would have taken them out this year if they had any goaltending whatsoever.

You have to wonder how successful Pittsburgh would really be if they had to slog through the Western Conference. I give them full marks for the 2016 title (they were just way faster than everyone), but last year and this, I doubt they would make it out of the second round in the West. Of course, we'll never know because it's hypothetical, but the road Nashville had to go through last year (which led to injuries to some of their top players) was far tougher than Pitt's.

Westerners hatin' on the East... Easterners hatin' on the West... same old story.  At the end of the day, the road is hard on anyone, and winning the Cup isn't easy no matter who you played.  That 2016 team could've beaten anyone out there.  I agree that the 2017 team had a pretty easy go, but let's not forget that their top defenseman (who, prior to this season, was a perennial Norris-caliber player when healthy) wasn't playing, and let's also not forget how hard it is to go back to back (with a World Cup thrown in for good measure).  Nashville's spring may have been tougher, but Pittsburgh had a tougher 12 months...   seems a poor excuse.

As for being in the Caps' heads... that's probably true.  I don't think that's true for Columbus last year though, and certainly not for Philly this year.  In both cases those were just teams who weren't quite ready for prime time.

Also, Kuznetsov scares me a lot, and this series is far from over.  I bet it's 2-2 coming back for Washington for game 5.

Even if i wouls prolly pick malkin over ovie  in 2004 today u cant deny what ovi is . In my opiniion hes the greatest goal scorer of all time  ... remove the 2 lock out  and keep him on a 30 goal pace till 35..... what happens?  He out scores gretzky... sckeptical..? Do the math.... he really  doea outscore the 99

Hmmm...

Let's say he lost 50 goals because of the first lockout, and 30 because of the second.  That's 80.  Three more seasons til he's 35, so at 30 per, that's 90 more goals.  170 total.  Plus the 607 he has already, equals 777 goals... over 100 short of Gretzky.  Guess I'm a skeptic.

In all honesty he'll probably end his career with nearly 800 goals, which is quite amazing this day and age.  He's an incredible goal scorer... generational talent.  But let's not get carried away with Gretzky comparisons.  Ovechkin's like the 3rd or 4th best player of his era, maybe.  Like 30th best all-time, maybe.  He's also going to fall like 1200 assists short of Gretzky, ha.

It's always fun, though, to imagine what it would've been like if the Pens had picked 1st overall in 2004.  Ovechkin and Crosby together... Malkin and Backstrom down the middle in Washington.  And actually, if Washington hadn't had Ovechkin in 05-06, they would've picked better than 4th overall, and probably would've ended up with Toews.  So how about Malkin and Toews down the middle.

I have a co-worker who dates someone who works for Monumental Sports. She got free tickets to the game and a few people backed out. Even though they were specifically told "do not give these tickets to Penguins fans" she was still nice enough to break the rules for me. I was in line to get a beer when Kuzy scored...17 freaking seconds. Of course that made my reception into the section even less welcoming even though I have gotten smart and started wearing my pajama jersey Jagr when in DC. Most leave me along when they see it because it's hard to hate on that guy. Most of the 1st and 2nd was enjoyable hockey. Honestly, the score should've been about 6-4 either way going into the 3rd. A quick goal into the 3rd period and everyone in the arena thought that this was in the bag. Well, except for the guy in front of me who yelled "we want blood" all night long. Seriously. Hornqvist's goal brought in a little bit of doubt. Crosby's goal took the air completely out of the building. Guentzel's goal cleared seats. Just like that. For about 6 minutes my heart was beating like I was doing cardio because I did not want to hear the siren go off or sit through another full intermission on a work night for that matter. But tonight was not going to be that night...a tradition like no other could take place:

image.png

Edited by Sammynos
grammar
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, originaljroc said:

There's no denying the Pens have plenty of talent (although I will rip on their crappy defence all day), but they have had an easier road than most teams the past couple of seasons. They definitely live in the heads of their division opponents, which turns the Caps and Jackets into the Arizona Coyotes come playoff time. However, I really believe the Flyers would have taken them out this year if they had any goaltending whatsoever.

You have to wonder how successful Pittsburgh would really be if they had to slog through the Western Conference. I give them full marks for the 2016 title (they were just way faster than everyone), but last year and this, I doubt they would make it out of the second round in the West. Of course, we'll never know because it's hypothetical, but the road Nashville had to go through last year (which led to injuries to some of their top players) was far tougher than Pitt's.

I'm reminded of the LA Kings run in 2012, where they basically walked through Vancouver, St Louis, then Arizona in a total of 14 games to the Stanley Cup Finals. IMO, easiest Stanley Cup win in history. Not that the Pittsburgh run was easy, but objectively-speaking, the Pittsburgh team last year had their #1 Dman injured, yet still had two generational talents on their team, a near-franchise level winger, a legit #1 goalie and forward depth out the ying-yang. I honestly think Nashville is the only team that had a chance against them and that Pittsburgh would've crushed anyone else in the West.

59 minutes ago, byz said:

I'm reminded of the LA Kings run in 2012, where they basically walked through Vancouver, St Louis, then Arizona in a total of 14 games to the Stanley Cup Finals. IMO, easiest Stanley Cup win in history. Not that the Pittsburgh run was easy, but objectively-speaking, the Pittsburgh team last year had their #1 Dman injured, yet still had two generational talents on their team, a near-franchise level winger, a legit #1 goalie and forward depth out the ying-yang. I honestly think Nashville is the only team that had a chance against them and that Pittsburgh would've crushed anyone else in the West.

And personally I don't think they beat the Ducks or Oilers either last year, so we all have our opinions. That Pitt D without Letang last year was perhaps the worst to ever win a Cup. They certainly bucked a trend of how you would like to build a Cup contender.

7 hours ago, Thunder said:

Freaking Ovie!

He's definitely winning it this year.

Just call me Nostradamus.

I don't know if they are necessarily beating Boston/Tampa or the winner of the west, but I do think this is their year to beat the Pens. This is Penguins team is wildly inconsistent and it's tough to know which version will show up each night...hell each period is a gamble sometimes. Lots of time left, but....

Their playoff winning string vs the Caps was bound to end at some point. Looks like this could be the year.

Murray has certainly been outplayed by Holtby and has let in some soft goals for sure. 

Letang has played terrible all year and that continues in the playoffs. How do you play a 2-1, certainly not floundering on the ice and leaving a pass open to Ovy!!!

Maatta was definitely tripped by Wilson, but’s let’s face facts even if he were not tripped, he would have never caught up to the play. Why be aggressive on the wall pinching with 2 freaking minutes left in a tied game. Not smart.

I don’t see either Washington or Pittsburgh getting by TB this season, so when the Pens lose to the Caps,  hopefully they will have a nice long offseason rest.

Rutherford has to think about this offseason as team is getting on wrong side of 30, and could Letang or Malkin be dealt to get some younger assets? Be a very interesting offseason for sure. 

I am really rooting for the Jets or Vegas to win, that would certainly be special if Vegas wins the Cup and MAF wins the Conn Smith!!!!

1 hour ago, bill0755 said:

Rutherford has to think about this offseason as team is getting on wrong side of 30, and could Letang or Malkin be dealt to get some younger assets? Be a very interesting offseason for sure. 

Always the hot topic. I just don't see Malkin getting dealt. They have the right assets in the system to warrant him still being a viable center for the younger wingers. Just don't see them getting the value that everyone would hope for.

Letang on the other hand is an interesting one. Could he be moved and turned into two/three up and coming defenders? It's clear that Schultz/Dumo/Maatta are capable of being top 4 in this system and Schultz can run the PP. The Big Rig is a great option on the 2nd or 3rd pairing with his physicality and presence on the ice. The concerning part is that right now Ruhwedel is a consistent starter and when he isn't in, the next "best" option is Hunwick. Turning Letang into pieces that round out the top 4 and bottom 6 would be a smart idea. I think Hagelin might be in the mix for a move like this as well.

32 minutes ago, Bagwell said:

The series is 1-1. Why is everyone sold on the Caps suddenly? :)

It’s 2-1 Caps and next game is Thursday.  Pens just are a jeckyl and Hyde this year as never know which team will show up and Murray has not played well at all in the playoffs. 

They lose Thursday and go down 3-1, I just don’t see them coming back this season 

1 hour ago, Bagwell said:

The series is 1-1. Why is everyone sold on the Caps suddenly? :)

Most Caps fans certainly aren't sold on them right now, but any Pens fan who has watched them consistently this year has noticed major flaws in the armor and its rather concerning.