Freaking Pens

Thunder

still think it's hard to beat the Penguins 4 times out of 7.  Lots of series left.  But I agree with the general sentiment here... this is the best chance the Caps have ever had to get past the Pens.

I think Holtby has gotten into the Penguins' head a bit... they're trying way too hard to pick corners rather than just getting pucks on net.  And that's leading to a lot of shots going JUST wide or JUST over the crossbar... and lots of those are leading to odd-man rushes coming back out.  Not to mention all the shots that are going off the post.  There were at least 3 quality scoring chances last night that went off the post.  Holtby's a great goalie, and playing extremely well in this series, but if you put 40 shots on him... even low percentage shots... he's going to let in at least a couple.  I'd rather see the Penguins doing that -- forcing him to make saves, getting offensive zone faceoffs, etc -- than picking their corners and starting Washington on the breakout.  Especially given the Penguins' structure... 3 men deep, plus at least one slow guy on D at all times.  

I feel a great game 7 in our near future. 

I don't agree Murray playing badly. I don't think Holtby is playing at an elite level either. He certainly left the net totally open a number of times as he slid too far. Luck was not a friend of the Penguins last game.

Great run, back to back cups, so can’t complain too much, just ran out of gas. 

Rutherford has some work to do this offseason, that’s for sure.

Would love to see Fluery win the Cup, as possibly they exposed the wrong goalie in the expansion draft.

Don’t see anyway the Caps get past Tampa as they actually have some forward depth, solid defense and a damn good goalie!!

Edited by bill0755

Serious thoughts on the penguins:

- if this is the new Kris letang, he needs to be on the second pairing with oleksiak. Dumoulin and Schultz can be a top pairing. And we need 2 new D to round it out. Ruhwedel and hunwick are fine for depth but they should be #7 And 8. Maatta is a fine NHLer but absolutely doesn't fit this system. Move him.

- the forwards are fine. Can't wait to find out what's been wrong with kessel. If he can form some chemistry with brassard next season, that's a fine 3rd line. 

- sheahan and kuhnhackl are a tremendous 4th line. Almost doesn't matter who is with them. But it might be blugers next year? ZAR, rowney, and others competing too. 

- with sprong, Simon, rust, sheary, and hagelin competing for 3 spots in the top 9, there should be no shortage of depth. 

- Matt Murray does not have an NHL caliber glove hand. Period. He needs to fix it, or the penguins need to give jarry a legitimate chance to win that job next year. Fleury had to be the one to go... I get that... But Murray still may not be the goalie of the future in Pittsburgh

- jim Rutherford is a brilliant GM, but the brassard trade was a swing and a miss. Should've been more patient with sheahan and brought in Cullen  (or comparable low cost 4th line center) at the deadline. I reeeeally think he needs to be shopping maatta and hitting the free agent market for a couple D. Worth mentioning that hunwick, reaves, and niemi were also all failed acquisitions this year, albeit less costly ones. Big props for getting sheahan and oleksiak as cheaply as he did though. 

- Mike Sullivan is a truly terrific coach. He did a great job with the wrong personnel this postseason. I would've liked to have seen kessel off the top PP, but Sullivan's other decisions were terrific all around. And the level of play he's been able to get out of Crosby is remarkable. 

All in all, a good learning year for the pens. Looking forward to next year already. 

See, I am on the other side of the argument as you James. I think Maatta is the one who stays and Letang is the one shopped. I am thinking that this could be the time for it, even though it would be a tough pill to swallow. Teams are lining up for Karlsson and Carlson. Only two teams are going to overpay in a trade and then overpay in FA for those guys. So then GMJR comes in with another option...let the dominos fall and see who comes calling with some defensive options/picks. 

I also think the Brassard trade wasn't a total swing and miss yet. If he was a rental and not signed next year, definitely. Since he has a full next season with the team, this isn't necessarily a terrible trade yet. We never know what a goalie prospect will be until he becomes a NHL starter...or not. We also never know what type of player a team will draft in the 1st round.

PS - I flat out hate Ruhwedel. I feel like I know him personally with how many times I have to say "be better Chad" to my TV.

Agreed JR certainly had several misses this year in a 3 year contract for Hunwick (just did not fit), Niemi (no comment needed here) and possible Reaves as at somepoint they need to start rebuilding the cupboard with prospects and continually trading #1 picks will become a real problem. 

The Oleksiak trade did work out as he looks like a solid 5-6 defenseman with some snarl, which they desperately need. He also made a very good deal for Sheahan so probably graded a C on his GM work for the 17-18 season.  

They gave up a a hell of a lot for Brassard, Gustavsson, Cole, #1 and Reaves. Did not work out so well this year, but he is signed for another year at a great AVV (thanks Vegas) so still feel he is a very solid 3 line center so would give him a little time next season to see how he works out in the long term.

On the forward side their depth scoring abandoned them against the Caps. They are just not the quick team they used to be when they played SJ. Need to get back to a speed lineup and also add someone with a little bite to the forward group. Sprong will have to be traded or find a role next year as he no longer is waiver eligible. 

I do do think they shop Letang his AVV if $7.250 for the next 5 years could hopefully bring back a nice return. On the fence on Maata, some games he looks really good, others looks as slow as molasses. He is a decent 3-4 defenseman, so unless they can deal him for a younger, faster promising defensemen, think he stays. Gotta think Dumo, Schultz and a resigned Oleksiak are set for next season, but JR has a lot of work to do to solidify this defense next year. He will also move Hunwick if he can, I hope. They have virtually have no minor league depth or prospects on D, which is not good. 

Do they go over Sids old buddy Jack Johnson, possible bring Coke back, Greg Patryn, De Haan, who might fit their system and their cap next year. 

As far a goal, I will give Murray some leeway this year as he did help them win 2 cups. He is more of a positional blocker in G with a suspect glove hand. He still young so still have hope he can still be a very solid #1 goalie. As far as a backup, would not be shocked if they also addressed that position this offseason as honesty not sold that DeSmith or even Jarry would be solid backups. 

JR and Guerin have whole a lot of work to do this offseason to get them back to being a very serious cup contender.