Metro Division - 3 Cups in a row

bill0755

First let me say from being a fan of the Penguins, I am don’t like their largest rival, the Capitals, and that’s a mild understatement. 

Like a Canadians Fan despises the Bruins or the Oilers fan despises the Flames or possible a Senators fan despises the Leafs. 

With that being said from a pure hockey perspective the Caps have worked hard to capture their first Cup. Hats off to them winning the Cup.  Holtby finally had a solid playoff, Ovy I must admit is a star player who finally gets to drink from Lord Stanley’s Cup for the first time and could also be a Conn Smyth winner has had a very inspired playoff run for his first Cup. 

They have played great and as teams need to do to win the cup at times avoided any real significant injuries and got some good puck luck as they beat 3 very solid Eastern Conference Teams to reach the finals and with a 3-1 lead I really don’t see Vegas coming back. 

They had 4 very solid lines going, a goalie playing great and a solid defensive structure, that’s certainly a Cup winning formula for sure. 

Enjoy it your Stanley Cup Caps fans as your team earned it.

As a Pens fan I can now only look to 18-19 season for the Pens to go after their 6th Cup and give the Metro Division the Stanley Cup for 4 straight seasons. 

Just feels like their year as they have played very inspired hockey and I don’t see the Knights winning 3 straight based on the Caps have played the last three games. 

Can Fleury and the Knights make a comeback, sure, but just feel, UNFORTUNATLY, that this is their year to finally win the Cup for Ovy. 

I think it'll go to ovechkin. Heart and soul of the team. Kuznetsov is very deserving though. 

Prior to this series I would have said fleury was in the running, even if they lost. Not so much anymore. Not to say these losses have been his fault, but they've put a dent in his numbers for sure. 

By the way, Kuznetsov only being the 5th person with 30+ points is fake news.  Gretzky (x6), Lemieux (x2), Coffey, Malkin, Bossy, Gilmour, Sakic, Messier (x2), Leetch, Recchi, Stevens, Middleton, Pederson, Kurri (x2), Simpson, Bure, Crosby, MacInnis have all done it.  6 players have hit 35 points... 2 have topped 40 points.

Also, the playoffs only switched to 4 rounds in 1980, for what it's worth.

Now, if we're talking about "modern times"... say, post 2004-05 lockout?  Then Kuznetsov would be tied for 2nd with the 2009 Crosby (5 points behind 2009 Malkin).  Either way, I think Ovechkin has been much more of a catalyst for this team overall with his league-leading 14 goals.  Also, did you know Kuznetsov is at 38% in faceoffs?  Woof.

THIS IS THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME I WILL EVER ARGUE IN OVECHKIN'S DEFENSE.  DON'T GET USED TO IT.

Who was the First Russian to win the Conn Smyth?

2009-Geno Malkin

Who is the 2nd Russian to win the Conn Smyth?

2018-Ovy, the player drafted 1st in the 2004 draft, followed by the 1st Russian Conn Smyth, Geno Malkin drafted #2. 

When the Caps win the Cup, man this is tough to type, it’s just about guaranteed that Ovy wins the 🏆, and much like possible Kessel deserved it with his stats during the 2016 Cup run, Sid won it because well he’s Sid and the same as Ovy will win the award over Kuznetsov. 

If its a gifted lifetime acheivment conn smythe then it should go to Ovechkin. 

If its awarded to the MVP of the winning team, it should go to Kuznetsov.

If its awarded to someone not named Ovechkin it will go to Holtby.

Unless what I beleive happens becomes a reality. Then Fleury will be the only choice.

Get ready for a game 7 

This story will not end this way. It should end with Vegas being the first team since the 40's to come back down three games in the playoffs. Thats the way this movie was written. We are just entering the final act.

Edited by Ralphdog

12 hours ago, James said:

Except when Crosby didn't get it in 2009, of course :)

No one could take that away from Malkin. He was an absolute MACHINE all season long and then that sick backhand goal on Ward to get a hat trick....just got chills.

Also...shoutout to the Versus TV channel lol

14 minutes ago, Sammynos said:

No one could take that away from Malkin. He was an absolute MACHINE all season long and then that sick backhand goal on Ward to get a hat trick....just got chills.

Also...shoutout to the Versus TV channel lol

Bad positioning by Ward...Malkin just threw that one on net.

1 hour ago, djb738 said:

Bad positioning by Ward...Malkin just threw that one on net.

How many guys have a backhand strong enough to beat a goalie in that situation though? Yes Ward was poorly positioned, but you cannot argue against the whole sequence being domination by Malkin.