The Cup, The Caps, Don and Vlad

Salros

First, congratulations to the Washington Capitals for winning their first Stanley Cup. They have a core of players who have worked many years for this moment. I commend Ovechkin for maturing into a leader that inspired his teammates to play their best hockey at a moment of great opportunity. He deserved the Conn Smythe Trophy. Honourable mentions to Kuznetsov and Holtby.

Now what happens in the political theatre we presently live with everyday of our lives unless you’ve decided to tune it all out. Will the Don invite the Capitals to the White House? Should he? Will any of the Russians go home with the Cup and give Putin a photo opportunity? I remember when Sports was used by leaders of the World to bring people together, often as a last resort. Now, in 2018, Sports is used as a political football. What Don has done to the NFL is criminal because it’s based on so many lies. Is the NHL at risk of heading down a similar path? Will Don find a way to trash the NHL if he invites the Capitals and some players choose not to attend allowing Don to cancel his invitation? If the Caps do make it to the White House, you can be sure a pic of Ovi being hugged by Don will be sent around the world.

My major problem with Teams going to the Don’s White House is that they become part of the propaganda machine supporting Don’s agenda. I’ve seen the Penguins used many times in the press (mostly on Fox) showing a sport’s team that supports the President. Of course we all know the respect shown, especially from the Canadians on the team, is a result of a well-bred social behavior. I still believe the NHL is one of the best leagues when it comes to producing good role models for our society.

As to the Cup going to Russia, I have no problem with Putin raising the Cup and recognizing the NHL as the top Hockey League in the World. Any NHL player that earns the distinction of playing for the best hockey team in the World deserves their traditional day with the Cup. If Ovi wants to share the moment with Putin, I’m not going to hold that moment against Ovi even though Putin is a blight upon the Earth.

I’ll be interested in reading the opinions on this subject from our community. James does’t like us discussing politics on the CHA forum but Don’s actions and the moment we find ourselves in brings me to believe that this topic deserves a thread. Just, as always, kept the discussion civil and productive or we’ll force the Man to lay down his law.

Edited by Salros

32 minutes ago, originaljroc said:

I hate it when sports and politics mix. Players shouldn't be made to feel like policital pawns when all they're doing is honouring a tradition of visiting the sitting President. It should be considered a visit to an institution, not a political party. 

I totally agreed with this a while back when I didn't worry about the state of my country (because I assumed it was in the hands of capable leaders). Trump is NOT that. In fact, I consider him very dangerous. If anyone - celebrity, athlete, Joe Schmo on the street - can speak up and indicate they feel the same way, I encourage that!

I really try and stay out of politics, as I'm no genius, but this doesn't seem like an option or opinion to me I guess. Donald Trump is an embarrassment. I don't know how we got here.

You're right though. This should be a fun tradition where the athletes are honored. 

Im interested to see how this plays out. mainly from a Media spin angle. no matter what happens there will be people trying to tear the situation apart anywhere they can because its flashy. 

As far as how i feel about it... 

I think Ovi will want to take the Cup to russia (he should). Trump will find a way to make it about him (he always does). Putin play a part somehow (as he does when russia is involved). And as for me ill pop popcorn and watch as the media in the US tears it all apart in no helpful or constructive way whatsoever. 

Super Happy for the Caps tbh, including Oshie and Eller (former Blues), right now they should celebrate and not care about the politics or any of that!

POTUS is a very polarizing figure, you either hate him with a passion or veimately support him with a passion. I don’t believe their is any middle ground with our current POTUS. 

With that said I fully expect the Capitals, without Pelly, to attend a White House event for their Championship. I would be totally shocked if they did not. 

On the the other hand, I would be TOTALLY shocked if the NBA champion makes any visit to the White House, that just won’t happen. 

4 hours ago, bill0755 said:

POTUS is a very polarizing figure, you either hate him with a passion or veimately support him with a passion. I don’t believe their is any middle ground with our current POTUS. 

With that said I fully expect the Capitals, without Pelly, to attend a White House event for their Championship. I would be totally shocked if they did not. 

On the the other hand, I would be TOTALLY shocked if the NBA champion makes any visit to the White House, that just won’t happen. 

I think both NBA teams already came out and said they would not go.

The news today has made the Presidency seem common. The seat should be respected regardless of a persons political standpoint.

If the leader of your country asks you to come and be honored, you go and be honored. 

I'm not a fan of Trudeau. If I was asked to come to Ottawa and and take part in anything. No questions asked. I would go.

It's my country and I support it. 

The use of sports teams. Actors. Anybody with any type of fame by our political parties is nothing more than a kissing baby photo op. Used to manipulate. It shouldn't be the case . 

• Like 1