[Trade] Galchenyuk for Domi

Thunder

I think the change of scenery will do both players good.

I don't know what went on with Galchenyuk behind the scenes, but it was obvious to me the relationship was damaged beyond repair. He may very well flourish in Arizona, but it never would have happened in Montreal.

As for Domi, I don't watch Arizona hockey, cuz, you know, they suck. But I've always liked him and I'm cautiously optimistic he rebounds ( and in fact he had started to towards the end of the season).

I like it for both teams.

Just saw it on TSN. 

On the surface seems selling a little low on Galchenyuk who has been a 30 goal scorer with 56 points vs. Domi best year of 18 goals and 52 points. 

Assume he will be a center with the Canadians?

What do the Canadian fans think?? Another bad Bergevin trade, or good deal for Canadians?

Guess Domi won’t end up with the Pens now and not sure what his fantasy value is with Montreal??

5 minutes ago, bill0755 said:

Just saw it on TSN. 

On the surface seems selling a little low on Galchenyuk who has been a 30 goal scorer with 56 points vs. Domi best year of 18 goals and 52 points. 

That's not really fair, though. Domi's only played three seasons and that best year was his rookie season. 

Three seasons in, his numbers are better than Galchenyuk's at the same stage in his career.

19 minutes ago, Thunder said:

I think the change of scenery will do both players good.

I don't know what went on with Galchenyuk behind the scenes, but it was obvious to me the relationship was damaged beyond repair. He may very well flourish in Arizona, but it never would have happened in Montreal.

As for Domi, I don't watch Arizona hockey, cuz, you know, they suck. But I've always liked him and I'm cautiously optimistic he rebounds ( and in fact he had started to towards the end of the season).

I like it for both teams.

Was just coming to say the same thing that I think a change of scenery could just be what both players need.

I was driving to work when a friend texted me about this trade ,my 1st reaction was ...ok...I guess we ( we being Habs) also got 5th overall Amateur as well so yeah we didn't and no I wasn't happy

9 hours later , I think it's just a swap of 2 talented guys going nowhere with their respective teams and both GM's hoping a change of scenery does them good ,Domi is also younger and under team control longer.

The problem IMO with Habs fans ( including me) and Habs media is that we under value and criticize a player while he's here then we annoit him as  Jesus Christ Superstar the second he's traded.

I think we'll like Domi.

On a side note ,I have Domi in GNFL so if anybody wants to over bid for him I'm all ears !!

Another side step move that adresses non of our issues

- clears cap space but we dont need space

- trade a winger since we have too many... for another winger

- trade a goal scorer ... on a team who finished 29th in scoring last year for a guy with less goal than deslauriers

- trade away an actual decently sized player for an undersized one

• Like 2

more on it
what does  galchenyuk do better  and vice  versa
Galchenyuk pros
-Score more
-Shoots more and more  accurate while doing it
-funny enough  hits  a bit more  0.71 HPG vs  0.5
- more efficient on the powerplay
-More experience as  a center  altought  hovering around 45% like domi

Domi Pros
-seems  to have  a bit more  gallagherish  into him
- a  year  younger
- Better  contract  situation all together

- Probably more  coachable  then  Cokehead Galchenyuk

1 hour ago, Vegeta said:

maybe  its a  trade  announcing    that Zadina  is the  player montreal are drafting.  and decided   that having

3  shot  first  player  was  2 much (  zadina galchenyuk paciretty)

You thinking Pacioretty is staying with the team or will he get moved as well?

1 hour ago, Vegeta said:

maybe  its a  trade  announcing    that Zadina  is the  player montreal are drafting.  and decided   that having

3  shot  first  player  was  2 much (  zadina galchenyuk paciretty)

If anything, doesn't this make it seem as though the Canadiens would after Kotkaniemi? 

Also, this feels like a weird move for Montreal. Domi isn't a center, correct? What are they doing?

Bold prediction: the Red Wings trade up to #3 and snag Zadina.

19 minutes ago, Bagwell said:

If anything, doesn't this make it seem as though the Canadiens would after Kotkaniemi? 

Also, this feels like a weird move for Montreal. Domi isn't a center, correct? What are they doing?

Bold prediction: the Red Wings trade up to #3 and snag Zadina.

I don't think this changes anything with respect to the centre position. Whether one agrees with it or not, Habs management were never ever going to play Galchenyuk at centre again.

As for using him to trade for a centre, I'm sure they tried. But whether you choose to blame the organization, the player or both, the fact is his trade value has been steadily decreasing the last two years. I don't think anyone at this point would have given up a top 6 centre for him as the main return.

I can definitely see the bold prediction happening, the more I think about it.

Edited by Thunder

Just now, Thunder said:

But whether you choose to blame the organization, the player or both, the fact is his trade value has benn steadily decreasing the last two years. I don't think anyone at this point would have given up a top 6 centre for him as the main return.

Oh for sure, that's fair. I'm certain they tried.

And yeah, I doubt he'd return a top-6 center. 

Do they believe that Galchenyuk has sort of hit his ceiling and Domi has room for improvement? I just want to know their justification for this, ha. I'm sure it won't end up being that bad (i.e.Hall/Larsson - although I'm sure some would debate this as well).

6 minutes ago, originaljroc said:

This trade feels a little like Eberle for Strome. My guess is they think they have a shot at Tavares and needed the extra cap space to go after him.

I'm sure they're hoping, but they are probably looking at ROR or Stastny in terms of a more realistic plan B. Also, I really think/fear they go hard after Johnson.

• Like 1

Just now, Bagwell said:

Do they believe that Galchenyuk has sort of hit his ceiling and Domi has room for improvement? I just want to know their justification for this, ha. 

My sense is it's mostly attitude / lifestyle issues. I just think the relationship was toxic and wasn't ever going to get better. After last season, I'm sure the idea is to clear some of the air in the locker room and press reset for the next season.

Hockey-wise, I think poor decision-making and, to a lesser extent, less than ideal speed are his main issues and limit his ability to succeed 5v5. But with a fresh start, I won't be shocked if he improves significantly.