McKenzie -Final Rankings

Thunder

he got ranked  13th  or so at the end of the season...   ( may) played no games of any format  like the rest of the draft class since then, and jumped into the top 5... the question is.. why

3 minutes ago, djb738 said:

I’m really confused when you keep saying without playing a single game because it looks like he played quite a few games this past season.

It's funny to me too...I remember the first time I heard the suggestion that the habs could grab kokoniemi(whatever his name is) as early as 3rd was on the radio about three weeks ago. It was a clip of Craig Button making the argument that he was a top five pick.

Since then everywhere I look he has been pushed up the board.

Does the former GM have that much pull in popular opinion?

9 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

he got ranked  13th  or so at the end of the season...   ( may) played no games of any format  like the rest of the draft class since then, and jumped into the top 5... the question is.. why

From what I have read, he really impressed at the WJC which really helped push up his value. The other perception is that he was a 17 year old playing against grown men and still produced 25+ points in 50+ games.

23 hours ago, Ralphdog said:

It's funny to me too...I remember the first time I heard the suggestion that the habs could grab kokoniemi(whatever his name is) as early as 3rd was on the radio about three weeks ago. It was a clip of Craig Button making the argument that he was a top five pick.

Since then everywhere I look he has been pushed up the board.

Does the former GM have that much pull in popular opinion?

I don't think he has influence, I think he's relaying to the public what he's hearing from scouts and GMs around the league.   

I'd think rankings are adjusted because teams are looking at game tape.  Season is over so GMs and scouts have time to focus their attention, have debates and fine tune their lists.  

Edited by Zipper14

I think Veleno might be the sleeper in this draft. I think I posted earlier that I thought Montreal might take him but I don't think that they are in a position 

to gamble. The fans would go nuts on him. He is that big center that they need . And he's born in Montreal. The question is does Montreal have the balls to go off the grid?

Edited by The Rainman

I actually agree with Vegeta in that Boqvist is highly likely to drop. I've watched highlights of all the top guys (scientific, I know), but then the Athletic came out with an article talking about the boom/bust riskiness of Boqvist. The one that got me was this (I think you guys will be able to see this without a subscription):

giphy.gif

He's #16 there, starting in the right wing position of the clip. I'm not about to crucify a guy based on one clip - and to be clear, his offensive ability is jaw-dropping - but I could see this scaring a lot of NHL GMs off. Oilers are rumoured to be taking Ty Smith at #10; I think that'd be the really safe pick compared to Bo.

14 hours ago, Vegeta said:

then how do you  explain  kotkaniemi jump from 13 to 5th  without playing a  single  game ? what  was  he   an easy going dude at  the combine and wore  nice shoes ?

Didn't Kotkaniemi perform pretty well with the aerobic fitness tests at the Combine?

9 hours ago, byz said:

I actually agree with Vegeta in that Boqvist is highly likely to drop. I've watched highlights of all the top guys (scientific, I know), but then the Athletic came out with an article talking about the boom/bust riskiness of Boqvist. 

He's almost a year younger than other draft-eligible prospects. That's huge.

I think concussions are a concern. Hasn't he had two already?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, djb738 said:

Does this thread blow up tomorrow when Montreal picks Kotkaniemi and Vegeta loses his mind?

I don't know, but I do know that Veg will not be the only one to lose his mind if the Habs draft Kotkaniemi. Drafting to meet current needs has never made sense to me.

8 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

Montreal would be  in a sweet spot to start the rebuild tommorow if they somehow moved weber patches and price for  draft picks and prospect then id be happy with kotkaniemi he would fit well in the  rebuild

Good of luck in finding any takers on the Weber contract, and not sure what teams would be willing to trade for the Price contract. Tough contracts too move that's for sure. 

1 minute ago, bill0755 said:

Good of luck in finding any takers on the Weber contract, and not sure what teams would be willing to trade for the Price contract. Tough contracts too move that's for sure. 

Agreed , but weber contract is gold starting  now for cap floor teams