Ottawa senators or quebec?

Vegeta

as a habs fan i decided to stop beeing mad at my team and look around, so i started with 2hours  mental drive and  arrived in ottawa.

so....

-got rid of  hoffman for a cap value but still a cap dump in boedker

- you have to give the 4th overall  to the avs or you keep it and your still a lottery team next year (wins lottery , jack hughes to the avs XD)

- alot of smoke around the fact  that karlsson wants out ( they did almost traded him to vgk until vgk  balked)

- duchene wanted out of a rebuild team,  so hes out in 12 months

-anderson is not reaaly good anymore neither is condon

-they cant sell tickets

-fan base  is mad

what do they do ?

6 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

as a habs fan i decided to stop beeing mad at my team and look around, so i started with 2hours  mental drive and  arrived in ottawa.

so....

-got rid of  hoffman for a cap value but still a cap dump in boedker

- you have to give the 4th overall  to the avs or you keep it and your still a lottery team next year (wins lottery , jack hughes to the avs XD)

- alot of smoke around the fact  that karlsson wants out ( they did almost traded him to vgk until vgk  balked)

- duchene wanted out of a rebuild team,  so hes out in 12 months

-anderson is not reaaly good anymore neither is condon

-they cant sell tickets

-fan base  is mad

what do they do ?

Think it all starts at the top, with ownership. From all you read it would appear the owner is one of the major issues, and not real sure about their GM either. Real tough situation for any real diehard Senator fans.  

If they are set on trading Karlsson, they need to give Colorado their #1 pick this season as they will likely be a high percentage lottery pick next season. 

What do do they do, new owner, new GM would probably be a good start. 

Gamble either way. They keep the pick and are still terrible there is a high probability they miss out on Hughes. They trade the pick and it sends a poor message to the fans.

I think only way around it is to trade Karlsson for young top end players, high tier prospects and trade the pick to the Avs this year. Sell it to the fan base as a rebuild and really highlight the players to build around.

What does Jawless think? lol. I live in Ottawa and thankfully am not a Sens a fan. 

Karlsson is gone. I think they want to do it this weekend so that they can start the healing process within the city. Fan base won't be happy with news in a week about lack of signing 8 year max deal (cause I doubt that's what is offered) and then Sens have no choice but to move him over summer.

Even if you win lottery next year. 81.7% chance you don't get the #1 pick. I guess it depends on how good #2,#3,#4 are next year.....

Best thing for everyone: trade karlsson and hit the reset button

Edited by barrett

I think Bill has it right. It's this insanity coming down from Melnyk has allowed for terrible decision making that goes on and on followed up by the cringeiest reasoning. With a front office of 1.25 people.

I think most fans are ready for a rebuild as Karlsson should leave and wouldn't be surprised to see Stone offer sheeted and Duchene walk at the years end. There isn't much to cheer for and we all await the day Melnyk goes somewhere. 

I don't think that the lottery matters. You're playing with house money as its is, so this year or next. Least now we know what assets are infront of us right now.

Maybe Melnyk bleeding money being at the bottom of the league will prompt some change, I don't know. I don't believe the NHL would move a Canadian team that's shown some greatness in the past. 

It's such a multi-layered shit show that always comes back to Melnyk.  

This 4th overall selection reminds me of the situation with the Islanders in 2014. They had the 5th overall pick and had to decide whether to give Buffalo that pick or gamble on the first-rounder next year being lower. They gambled and that pick ended up being #21. Good call, right? Well, they used that 5th overall pick to select Michael Dal Colle (impact TBD).

If I'm Ottawa, I absolutely make this pick. Yes, it's a gamble, but what're the chances they're bottom five in the league next year? Even with the garbage that's happened this off-season, anything can happen in the NHL. 

Plus, they have some nice young players who could make a difference: Chabot, L. Brown, C. White, Batherson, Dzingel, Chlapik, Formenton.

I would agree on keeping the pick. Even if they're bad next season, there's no guarantee they'll do better than fourth overall. It's all in the hands of a lottery where they will pick. Plus, picking that prospect this year (Zadina? Tkachuk? Hughes?) means you will have a top-end guy with an extra year of development in your system, hereby moving your rebuild along faster.

Finally, I heard a radio host tout this idea about it: what kind of message would it send to your team next season if you gave up the fourth overall pick this year for a chance at No. 1 next year? That we're expecting you to be in the bottom three, so don't play so hard that you finish better than that? That's a recipe for further organizational disaster.

Edited by originaljroc