The Draft Day Thread

Thunder

It's draft day folks!

I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to post all rumours, thoughts etc. leading to the draft and throughout.

Some big names potentially on the move.

-Lots of talk surrounding Pacioretty being traded today (possibly to LAK)

-ROR -do the Sabres move him before having to pay him a 7.5M bonus July 1st.

-Could Karlsson be moved today? (I doubt it).

My guess is that the Nucks end up with Hughes. In any case, here's my list:

1. Dahlin (BUF)
2. Svechnikov (CAR)
3. Kotkaniemi (MTL)
4. Zadina (OTT)
5. Dobson (ARZ)
6. Bouchard (DET)
7. Hughes (VAN)
8. Tkachuk (CHI)
9. Wahlstrom (NYR)
10. Boqvist (EDM)
11. Hayton (NYI)
12. Smith (NYI)
13. Farabee (DAL)
14. Kravtsov (PHI)
15. Samuelsson (FLA)
16. Veleno (COL)
17. Kupari (NJD)
18. Bokk (CBJ)
19. Lundestrom (PHI)
20. Noel (LAK)
21. Sandin (SJS)
22. Denisenko (OTT)
23. Kaut (ANA)
24. Wilde (MIN)
25. Alexeyev (TOR)
26. Miller (NYR)
27. Merkley (CHI)
28. Dellandrea (NYR)
29. Thomas (STL)
30. Berggren (DET)
31. Woo (WSH)

1 minute ago, Bagwell said:

My guess is that the Nucks end up with Hughes. In any case, here's my list:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Kotkaniemi
4. Zadina
5. Dobson
6. Bouchard
7. Hughes
8. Tkachuk
9. Wahlstrom
10. Boqvist
11. Hayton
12. Smith
13. Farabee
14. Kravtsov
15. Samuelsson
16. Veleno
17. Kupari
18. Bokk
19. Lundestrom
20. Noel
21. Sandin
22. Denisenko
23. Kaut
24. Wilde
25. Alexeyev
26. Miller
27. Merkley
28. Dellandrea
29. Thomas
30. Berggren
31. Woo

That would be great!  Dobson would work, too. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Raken65 said:

that I would not do ,I think we can get ROR without giving up that pick and I would not give up that pick for him.

Neither would I, unless the third overall pick also "lost his love for the game" this season.

I've been hard on Bergevin and I will continue to be hard on him. But trading for O'Reilly would be really, really stupid. It's time to stop bailing this sinking ship - we're going to have to go full rebuild here. $7.5 million over the next 5 years for an aging centre is not the solution.

5 minutes ago, RegDunlop said:

Neither would I, unless the third overall pick also "lost his love for the game" this season.

I've been hard on Bergevin and I will continue to be hard on him. But trading for O'Reilly would be really, really stupid. It's time to stop bailing this sinking ship - we're going to have to go full rebuild here. $7.5 million over the next 5 years for an aging centre is not the solution.

Maybe I got my blinders on but we don't need full re build we can't anyway when paying Price that contract. 

Patches next contract will probably be similar to ROR, that deal makes sense to me.

I'm not in Montreal, but I don't see them in a full rebuild situation. They just need a centre and probably two of them, so O'Reilly makes a lot of sense, although I wouldn't give up the third overall pick to do it. Those seconds though ...

Both Price and Weber are bouncing back this season. I like Patches in a contract year to recoup his value, too. And Drouin will be better with a year under his belt in the Montreal media market.

• Like 1

Happy to hear you guys think I'm going too far when I say full rebuild. It's just that when I look at what Montreal has to offer and what it can get, I don't see them becoming a true contender unless Price plays his very best hockey, in which case anything can happen (just ask Gilbert Dionne). Weber's great but without a puck mover next to him, he's useless. As for Price for Helle, I'd pull the trigger on that so fast, it makes me think it's not a viable option.

Drouin - ROR - Gallagher  would start looking like a legitimate top line. Montreal has the goaltending, and hopefully Weber can get back to #1D form. They could bounce back a bit with some smart moves this summer.

Also, the Oilers have been telegraphing that Ty Smith is their guy at #10. I'm personally *really* hoping Wahlstrom drops.

7 minutes ago, RegDunlop said:

Happy to hear you guys think I'm going too far when I say full rebuild. It's just that when I look at what Montreal has to offer and what it can get, I don't see them becoming a true contender unless Price plays his very best hockey, in which case anything can happen (just ask Gilbert Dionne). Weber's great but without a puck mover next to him, he's useless. As for Price for Helle, I'd pull the trigger on that so fast, it makes me think it's not a viable option.

The unfortunate thing is this market will not allow a full rebuild for better or worse.

Price is the key this guy is a year or two away removed from being the best goalie in the world and if he gets back to form well man the possibilities are endless ( blinders on keeping the rain out of my eyes)