Grubauer to COL

Dougall

On 6/23/2018 at 3:51 AM, djb738 said:

Hurricanes offered the 42nd overall pick and to take Orpiks contract but the Caps wanted Grubauer out of the Metro.

I am having a hard time hating some of the decisions the Capitals management have been making. This was SMART.

9 minutes ago, djb738 said:

Smart for the Caps...hate it as a Hurricanes fan.

Absolutely. Obviously, you would love to have Grub down in Carolina because I think the competition between him and Darling does them a lot of good. What do you do now? Maybe take a look at Bernier? Mrazek? I think Carolina really needs a 1a/1b goalie situation and not for the "who is our starter" controversy, but to light a fire under Darling's ass because he clearly came into that situation thinking that the crease was his. 

Some of the names being tossed around make me a bit nervous just based off of past history with the Hurricanes. We have a bad history with signing backup goalies that show some potential and they never amount to anything.

I agree, we need someone to push Darling. From what I have heard Darling has shown a commitment to try and turn things around. It was reported that he was 15 pounds over where they would have liked him to be. Did that contribute? Not sure. It has been said though that he was staying in Carolina this summer to really work on his conditioning.

There are a number of goalies I wouldn’t mind seeing the team sign at the right price. More proven are Bernier and Lehner and I don’t mind either one. I think Lehner is a little under rated playing behind that terrible Sabres D. I still Mrazek has some upside and has shown glimpses in the past. Hutton is also an intriguing name.

We need to do something though. As well as Cam performed last year I’m not sure it is a good idea to keep him around. We need change and the ability to move forward.