Massive Trade

Raken65

I agree that I think Lindholm will be better than Ferland. Ferland brings grit and physicality which the Hurricanes have been trying to build their team around.

Lindholm wants $5M/year and I’m guessing Hanifin is at least looking at around $4M/year.

3 hours ago, Zipper14 said:

Calgary got destroyed here. Hamilton is waaaay better than Hanafin will ever be, and Ferland is probably a shade better than Lindholm. Throw in a pretty good prospect and you’ve got a doozie. 

I’d be hitting the veto button if this came through our site :)

Just read a good article on the trade on SportsNet. From Calgary's perspective, Hamilton was a good player with the wrong attitude. Flames traded his brother last January and Hamilton started making it clear he wasn't happy there. Good chance Flames were going to lose Ferland next summer anyways. And Fox had made it pretty clear he had no interest in coming to play for Calgary. Wouldn't come to play with them this year and committed to go back to college for another year. If he did that for a fourth year they'd lose him. So the topline is that they moved a high skill/bad attitude player, a gritty guy they really liked but might have only kept for one more year and a high quality prospect who may have never played for them. 

LIndholm may really shine with Gaudreau and Monahan as linemates. Maybe not. Hanifin has basically the same numbers as Hamilton did in his first three years, so lots of potential there. 

I'm not saying Calgary won this trade - but not sure they got destroyed either. 

1 hour ago, Jono19 said:

Just read a good article on the trade on SportsNet. From Calgary's perspective, Hamilton was a good player with the wrong attitude. Flames traded his brother last January and Hamilton started making it clear he wasn't happy there. Good chance Flames were going to lose Ferland next summer anyways. And Fox had made it pretty clear he had no interest in coming to play for Calgary. Wouldn't come to play with them this year and committed to go back to college for another year. If he did that for a fourth year they'd lose him. So the topline is that they moved a high skill/bad attitude player, a gritty guy they really liked but might have only kept for one more year and a high quality prospect who may have never played for them. 

LIndholm may really shine with Gaudreau and Monahan as linemates. Maybe not. Hanifin has basically the same numbers as Hamilton did in his first three years, so lots of potential there. 

I agree that Hanifin has had the same number of points in his first three years but the difference is that in his first three years he played 61 more games than Hamilton.

Lindholm certainly may shine with Gaudreau and Monahan but he was given the chance to shine with Aho and Tuevo as well and didn’t. He is also going to a team that has the same head coach that he has had the past couple of years and where he has underperformed. I still think Lindholm has the potential to reach 60 points but can he reach that potential.

1 hour ago, Jono19 said:

Ah, the Fox news does help a bit, but it

still seems like poor asset management. I think some team out there would be willing to pay for him. 

I’m probably harder on Lindholm than most. But I owned him for a year and a half and was pretty disappointed. $5 million a year is steep for a guy who puts up 40 points and doesn’t do much else. If you don’t want Ferland then trade him for a pick - don’t overpay a complimentary middle six winger. Sven Baertchi can be had at the deadline.  

Hanafin doesn’t seem as good defensively as Hamilton, but I don’t have any stats to back that up. I see Hamilton as a top 10 dman in the league, and Hanafin is a second pairing guy right now. 

2 hours ago, Zipper14 said:

Ah, the Fox news does help a bit, but it

still seems like poor asset management. I think some team out there would be willing to pay for him. 

I’m probably harder on Lindholm than most. But I owned him for a year and a half and was pretty disappointed. $5 million a year is steep for a guy who puts up 40 points and doesn’t do much else. If you don’t want Ferland then trade him for a pick - don’t overpay a complimentary middle six winger. Sven Baertchi can be had at the deadline.  

Hanafin doesn’t seem as good defensively as Hamilton, but I don’t have any stats to back that up. I see Hamilton as a top 10 dman in the league, and Hanafin is a second pairing guy right now. 

Well maybe you do have the stats to back it up. I know you might say it's not a fare stat because the Hurricanes weren't that good a team. Last season he was

minus 20 and the year before that he was a minus 19 and before that a minus 14. Today some don't put as much faith in plus minus like they once did. Plus they have been trying

to move him for some time now. For Hamilton this is the 2nd time he's been moved because of the dressing room. I guess time will tell how this plays out.

I really like this deal for Calgary.  Noah Hanifin is 21 year’s old.  Was a #5 pick overall.   Made NHL immediately after being drafted.  Tremendous upside.  There must be dressing room concerns or something about Hamilton.  Boston shipped him out.  Now Calgary.  There’s something.  Also Calgary has concerns about being able to sign Fox.  The college guy risk.  Lindholm is a good young player as well.

Yes Carolina got an excellent proven Dman in Hamilton but gave up a younger one who will probably equal or better him.  And Ferland is a decent player with tenacity and grit.  And fortuitously they get Fox who may be more likely to sign in Carolina than Calgary.  So maybe that turns out to be the kicker on the Carolina side of things.  So that may make it a good deal for both teams.

I’m confused by Carolina right now.  They seem to want to churn over the roster.  Are they rebuilding?  Trading these young assets for older players says no.  Picking up Hamilton and Ferland says they want to compete now.  If they get the goaltending maybe they can turn it around like Colorado did, but that’s a big if!

in the meantime I think Calgary did well on the deal.  Maybe good for both teams though.

Edited by Bluecharm

The Hurricanes are no longer rebuilding but looking to win and make the playoffs. The thought around here in Raleigh is that if the team can get a solid goalie they should make a real strong push for the playoffs.

I agree that’s Hanifin has tremendous upside but I’m not sure he ever reaches that. I think there were concerns that he would never live up to his potential and top 5 pick status and he is going to want a contract that doesn’t translate to his production.

The outcome of this trade really comes down to Hanifin and Lindholm’s development and ability to reach their potential, as well as Fox signing in Carolina.

I would not be surprised to see Hamilton have 50 points this year.

Truthfully, I have never been a Dougie Hamilton fan. However, I think Carolina did well here. They moved two guys with question marks on them reaching their full potential and got a proven 50 point powerplay QB.

It sounded like Lindholm wanted to be paid like he already proved his worth and Hanifin was probably looking at the Ekblad contract heavily. I think that both will do well in Calgary, but the shadow of a doubt is hard to ignore. 

All in all I think the fact that there are so many mixed reviews about this trade says that it was a pretty even trade. Time will tell on this one.

While this trade didn’t really address any of the Hurricanes big needs (goalie, center, scoring forwards) I think it gives them the flexibility now to trade Faulk to fill one of the voids.

19 hours ago, bill0755 said:

Fox-Hamilton-Ferland

Hanifin-Lindholm

for now as reported. 

I thought you were giving the line-up and I was like, “those might be the wrong positions.”

Nice work, Canes!

Their D was pretty good last year. Now, it’s slightly better and still improving with each year. Scoring should be improved with Svech. Do you think they’re targeting any FAs? 

Whatre they going to do with goaltending? Ride out Darling?

Here are some more stats to suggest Hamilton is better. In fact, they back up the statement that Hamilton is elite. IMO you don’t trade elite unless you’re getting elite back, but there must be more to the story that we don’t know about.

Apparantly Someone said on the radio that Hamilton went to the museum when the rest of the team went out for dinner together. That doesn’t sound too bad...

520700DA-8BC1-405C-9936-64F351BD2CE6.png

Edited by Zipper14

21 minutes ago, Zipper14 said:

Here are some more stats to suggest Hamilton is better. In fact, they back up the statement that Hamilton is elite. IMO you don’t trade elite unless you’re getting elite back, but there must be more to the story that we don’t know about.

Apparantly Someone said on the radio that Hamilton went to the museum when the rest of the team went out for dinner together. That doesn’t sound too bad...

f6437014-c9bf-4691-975a-65b949ff0bf4

I heard the whole museum thing as well. If true and that was held against him than that’s unbelievable. Also read that he didn’t take losses as hard as other players and that rubbed teammates the wrong way. If these are examples of what has lead to the notion that Hamilton may be disliked in the locker room, than it is pretty poor. From what I understand Hamilton is pretty quiet and keeps to himself. I don’t see anything wrong with that at least you know you won’t have off ice distractions with him.

53 minutes ago, Bagwell said:

I thought you were giving the line-up and I was like, “those might be the wrong positions.”

Nice work, Canes!

Their D was pretty good last year. Now, it’s slightly better and still improving with each year. Scoring should be improved with Svech. Do you think they’re targeting any FAs? 

Whatre they going to do with goaltending? Ride out Darling?

I think the hope is now that they trade Faulk and Skinner for some scoring forwards and more preferably a solid Center.

As far as goalie, I believe they will sign a free agent and give Darling another chance to win the job. The goalie they sign will be one that pushes Darling and potentially is capable of being a potential starter.

Trade Skinner and Faulk for scoring forwards.  But Skinner is a scoring forward. I agree trading Faulk for a scoring forward may make sense. Maybe the Leafs can help in this regard.  

But if you trade Skinner you have to replace those goals to get back to even.  

The goal in part seems to be to change team chemistry.  Understandable I guess.  

11 minutes ago, Bluecharm said:

Trade Skinner and Faulk for scoring forwards.  But Skinner is a scoring forward. I agree trading Faulk for a scoring forward may make sense. Maybe the Leafs can help in this regard.  

But if you trade Skinner you have to replace those goals to get back to even.  

The goal in part seems to be to change team chemistry.  Understandable I guess.  

We have to trade Skinner or we lose him for nothing. He is a UFA after this year and I think he has indicated he has no plans in resigning.

3 hours ago, Zipper14 said:

Well he did voice displeasure when the Flames traded brother Freddie. He said something along the lines that he deserves to here more than some in this room. Ouch!

4 hours ago, Zipper14 said:

Exactly. On talent, Carolina wins this trade by a mile (a stud and more for two maybes). But as we saw with Hoffman, sometimes fixing the off-ice chemistry is more important. I think that's what Calgary tried to do here.

6 hours ago, Bluecharm said:

Just reported on tsn.ca that Skinner has turned down a “few” trades this summer.  He has a NMC.  Could be hard to get full value for him.  

Ferland is also a UFA next year.

Just read from a local media person here in Raleigh that the Hurricanes haven’t even gone to Skinner with a single trade yet to see if he would approve.

Belief is teams may wait to see where Tavares lands before the interest in Skinner really heats up.

23 minutes ago, djb738 said:

Just read from a local media person here in Raleigh that the Hurricanes haven’t even gone to Skinner with a single trade yet to see if he would approve.

Belief is teams may wait to see where Tavares lands before the interest in Skinner really heats up.

Well one of these media outlets is wrong.  Oh well we will see how it all plays out.

I don't have anything to add at the moment, but I'd just like to say my PCFL team has Hanifin.. and Lindholm.. and Hamilton. This is one of those weird times where I hope both teams come out with a win. Gotta think Lindholm gets a shot with Johnny - Monahan, right?