Jack Johnson Signs with Penguins

djb738

DK Pittsburgh Sports is reporting looks like 5 years at $14.5 ($2.5). Indicated Jack’s agent stated they had several 5 year offers on the table. Don’t like the term for a 31 year old defenseman coming off a real bad year. Know he and Sid are very close, but if it’s 5 years and $2.5 I could probably live with that AVV and term. Would them allow the Pens to likely resign Sheahan and Oleksiak, along with possibly Grabner or DuClair. 

If its 5 years at $3.0-$3.5 not sure I really like that deal for the Pens. 

58 minutes ago, James said:

Sheahan re-signed... 2.1 mil.  So if my math is right, that leaves something like $3.85 million to sign Oleksiak and a bottom-six forward (maybe bluegers or kuhnhackl or rowney or duclair or someone else).

Acccording to Cap Friendly they have $8,182,500 in cap.

They need one more forward and one more defenseman. 

They will definitely sign Olekziak, my guess around $1.5.

If they did sign JJ to a 5-year contract at $3.5, that would still leave $3.182. 

Maybe sign DuClair for $1M and Kunitz for $1M and leave a little cap cushion.

Still not real excited about a 5 year deal for Johnson, but not a lot of UFA defenseman, like DeHaan, but he sure seems injury prone, so if they like Johnson and there are a bunch of other teams offering 5 year terms, guess if they really like him, they need to match the market

Gotta factor Sprong in there at 0.750.  They've already basically confirmed he'll be in the NHL next year.  Which really only leaves a need for one more NHL forward.  You'd have ZAR and Bluegers on two-way contracts to go up and down as needed.  I like the idea of Duclair or someone with some upside.  Don't really see the point of Kunitz... 

3 hours ago, Sammynos said:

Can’t believe I’m going to be stuck watching this guy 82 games a season now. The 4-10 that I wound up seeing him each year was plenty....

I am not excited at all about signing JJ to a 5 year contract, if that is in fact happens on Sunday.

If signed, I will give GMJR the benefit of the doubt and hopefully JJ will revitalize his career playing with his buddy Sid. He was a top pick the year Sid was picked, so apparently does have some skills. Again, hopefully he is re-energized with a new team and likely in a new role as a 5-6 defenseman.

From all you read on twitter of HF Boards GMJR has lost his mind signing this terrible defenseman for a long term deal. Let's hope this is more of a deal that turns out as well as Daley or Hainsey vs. his decision on a 3 year Hunwick contract. 

Guess we we will all find out around noon on Sunday....

Everyone's on his case about the Hunwick signing, but honestly if it's this easy to get rid of a player, then no harm no foul.  Hunwick was worthless this year, and he still managed to shed that contract at no cost, and get half of a fourth rounder in return (ok, the pick was probably mostly for Sheary, but still).  If giving JJ 5 years is what's allowing them to get him down to 3.5 mil, I'm all for it.  As opposed to the alternative... 2 years at 5 mil.  

Rutherford implied that JJ was benched in Columbus for reasons other than his play on the ice.  JJ implied that Columbus is not a place with a winning culture.  Tortorella went off in the press.  And Kekalainen said he'd be calling Rutherford directly.