July 1st UFA Thread - Winners and Losers

bill0755

I'd be okay with 6.5 for Stastny - you have to offer him something over what Winnipeg can afford (I haven't done the math but I doubt they could afford this).

That said, if Stastny walks for big money rather than staying on his current line, he's an idiot who may gave blown his current chance at a Cup.

They've got a ton of work to do to get that team back though... not sure how much space they'll have left after Trouba, Morrissey, and Hellebuyck.  And you've still only got 9 forwards signed...

You know Hellebuyck's gonna get paid... probably $7 mil at least, right?  Morrissey you can maybe talk into a bridge contract, but when you look at comparables you've got Gostisbehere or Ristolainen pulling in 5+ years, 5ish million... he's gonna push for that.  But he's not arbitration eligible, so.  Trouba, on the other hand is also gonna get paid, like Hellebuyck.  

I think you're looking at 17-18 million, minimum, for those three players alone.  That leaves you with 6 million to sign at least 4 F (maybe 5), and a D.

1 hour ago, James said:

They've got a ton of work to do to get that team back though... not sure how much space they'll have left after Trouba, Morrissey, and Hellebuyck.  And you've still only got 9 forwards signed...

You know Hellebuyck's gonna get paid... probably $7 mil at least, right?  Morrissey you can maybe talk into a bridge contract, but when you look at comparables you've got Gostisbehere or Ristolainen pulling in 5+ years, 5ish million... he's gonna push for that.  But he's not arbitration eligible, so.  Trouba, on the other hand is also gonna get paid, like Hellebuyck.  

I think you're looking at 17-18 million, minimum, for those three players alone.  That leaves you with 6 million to sign at least 4 F (maybe 5), and a D.

Trouba is rumoured to be asking $8M I believe.

Have REAL concerns with Trouba asking for $8M. His stats just don’t support that AVV. I own him in several Capwise Leagues and really anxious about what his new term and AVV look like. Don’t believe in paying defenseman, unless his name is Karlsson, possible Doughty $7-8M. Tough decision with this RFA in resigning or releasing for re-entry draft. 

I know the Jets won’t pay him $8M, possible another hold out, trade or a more reasonable contract in the 5-6M range. 

Edited by bill0755

13 minutes ago, RegDunlop said:

Care to elaborate? Because I don't see it. All I see is the Jets clearing cap space to maybe sign the FA who was supposed to come to MTL in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with this from a Habs perspective ,they gave up nothing and got 2 picks and a player ,we weren't going to get Stastny and if we were we would have to way over pay

17 minutes ago, RegDunlop said:

Care to elaborate? Because I don't see it. All I see is the Jets clearing cap space to maybe sign the FA who was supposed to come to MTL in the first place.

We are not  trying to win. People need to layoff the idea that mtl is 1 33year old C away from contending.

This means mtl is dodging the never ending  "holding on for hope with bad signings trying to fix holes   that are way 2 big  to be fixed via free agency"

• Like 1