Wilson get 5.12m x6 WOW

Vegeta

But as a real world deal I think it's good value if you consider the intangibles. Wilson is respected or feared enough to keep Ovie from being a physical target until his age 38 season, if he plays that long....and that's to say nothing of the room that Wilson could afford for Kuznetsov moving forward. I really don't see this as a Lucic type thing where it becomes apparent rather quickly that he can't play hockey anymore. And the kid can play, too.

3 hours ago, Ralphdog said:

But as a real world deal I think it's good value if you consider the intangibles. Wilson is respected or feared enough to keep Ovie from being a physical target until his age 38 season, if he plays that long....and that's to say nothing of the room that Wilson could afford for Kuznetsov moving forward. I really don't see this as a Lucic type thing where it becomes apparent rather quickly that he can't play hockey anymore. And the kid can play, too.

As a real world deal, this could be one of those contracts that looks better with time (and salary inflation), but only if Wilson keeps producing like he did last season, and last season was an outlier on a lot of levels. After Wilson's performance in the playoffs, I could understand something like 4x4, but 5x6 is too much money and too much term in my view.

• Like 1

So league is now paying $5.12M for his career high 35 point season and a whooping 14 goals??

This player has 35 goals and 69 assists in FIVE years....and his career year is 35 points. 

Good luck with this contract and all his future suspensions from cheap shots, as the suspensions will now only get longer with this repeat offender. 

One would assume he would be available in the re-entry draft in ALL Capwise Leagues in the fall......any takers🏒😄

34 minutes ago, bill0755 said:

So league is now paying $5.12M for his career high 35 point season and a whooping 14 goals??

This player has 35 goals and 69 assists in FIVE years....and his career year is 35 points. 

Good luck with this contract and all his future suspensions from cheap shots, as the suspensions will now only get longer with this repeat offender. 

One would assume he would be available in the re-entry draft in ALL Capwise Leagues in the fall......any takers🏒😄

not me

I don't know man. The guy came straight out of the OHL. Was a first round draft pick. Has consistently gotten better and better. Had a monster playoff. I think he's just hitting his stride. 45 points and another cup run doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

He's a game changer. A huge presence on the ice. And he just generally smashes opponents.  

I think that's a top end contract for a 24 year old that plays his style game.

If he finds some kind of scoring touch this will be a steal. Playing with Ovie and Kuznetsov could do that.

• Like 1

We're now seeing the effect of today's NHL superstars salaries exceeding 11 million as the new norm. It leaves the important supporting role players that each team needs an opportunity to say, I'm at least worth half that amount and voila, we're seeing these players signing contracts in the 4.5 to 5.5 million dollars range. The days of signing these players to contacts of 4 million or less are disappearing fast. As the NHL continues to grow successfully, the cap limit will continue a steady rise. It's a good time to be playing in the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2018 at 9:30 AM, Vegeta said:

kucherov signs  at 4.9   at 23 year old  after    a  66 and 65 pts  season
Wilson ....

Kucherov was a deal and a half . He could have easily went for 6 mill plus and 6 years. Instead now he's going to get 8 - 10 mill and 8 years.

It was savvy business on his part and Yzermans part.

As well I remember another big boy. No messing around type power forward. A little less on the shenanigans and PIM's. Took him a while to find his rhythm. He was 24 before he broke loose and had a couple of back to back 40 point seasons prior to breaking out. John Leclair.

Then I did a little google stuff.

Tocchet 23

Bertuzzi 25

Iginla - although he was way more talented and showed more younger. He didn't bust loose until 24.

Neely -21 . 4 seasons it took probably the best to ever be a power forward to cut loose. 

These guys take time. 

55 minutes ago, leevaughn said:

As well I remember another big boy. No messing around type power forward. A little less on the shenanigans and PIM's. Took him a while to find his rhythm. He was 24 before he broke loose and had a couple of back to back 40 point seasons prior to breaking out. John Leclair.

Then I did a little google stuff.

Tocchet 23

Bertuzzi 25

Iginla - although he was way more talented and showed more younger. He didn't bust loose until 24.

Neely -21 . 4 seasons it took probably the best to ever be a power forward to cut loose. 

These guys take time. 

All of these guys had more points in their first full season than Wilson’s career high, which was an anomaly. Iginla got 50 points in his rookie year. Wilson got 35 last year, and that is almost double his career average. 

Maybe Wilson’s 35 points was his breakout. I don’t think he’ll do more than that. 

On 7/28/2018 at 1:34 AM, Ralphdog said:

I agree, in year three it'll look a lot better. 

Oh wow I did not notice the Modified NTC. Ouch.

31 minutes ago, Zipper14 said:

Maybe Wilson’s 35 points was his breakout. I don’t think he’ll do more than that. 

Me neither. A lot of guys could have put up those 35 points with his linemates. Sure, he made them better this season, but that's not worth anything close to a six-year commitment. 

2 hours ago, Zipper14 said:

All of these guys had more points in their first full season than Wilson’s career high, which was an anomaly. Iginla got 50 points in his rookie year. Wilson got 35 last year, and that is almost double his career average. 

The point was.. all those guys are power forwards and started to bloom late.  I was in no way saying that Tom Wilson is going to be the next Cam Neely. 

45 points and all those peripherals isn't a bad contract for 5 mill. Of course it could be better but you're not getting that kind of cross category production out of anyone else in the league at that high of a level.

33 minutes ago, leevaughn said:

The point was.. all those guys are power forwards and started to bloom late.  I was in no way saying that Tom Wilson is going to be the next Cam Neely. 

45 points and all those peripherals isn't a bad contract for 5 mill. Of course it could be better but you're not getting that kind of cross category production out of anyone else in the league at that high of a level.

I guess my point is that these guys showed a scoring touch in their first few years. Wilson didn’t, until paired with some of the best players in the world, and he still didn’t produce like an average top sixer. 

Dustin Brown was producing at a Wilson type rate for years and he went unclaimed in most CHA leagues.