Yzerman steps down as Lightening GM (Wow)

frozenboards

Yzerman is stepping down as Tampa Bay's GM. I didn't see this coming. There has long been talk of figuring out a way to bring him back to Detroit. I no Kenny Holland fan, so I wouldn't shed any tears if he got the boot.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/steve-yzerman-steps-down-as-general-manager-of-tampa-bay-lightning-in-stunning-move/

36 minutes ago, James said:

My actual theory is that Brisebois had another opportunity elsewhere and Yzerman, knowing that he's going to replace holland next year anyway, did Tampa a favor by stepping aside so they could keep Brisebois.

Agree completely. BriseBois is probably the best assistant GM in hockey, and was very highly coveted. Brings a different perspective to a team that can't quite get over the hump. And if the Yzerman to Detroit rumors are true, and I believe they are, this move makes sense for everyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salros said:

Are not the Tampa Bay Lighting almost good enough to win a Cup? I guess when you've won a Cup, you don't need to stick around and win another. If he does go back to Detroit, maybe he likes to rebuild a franchise instead of enjoying the fruits of his labour.

1 hour ago, James said:

Maybe yzerman just couldn't stand living in Florida any longer

Yzerman evidently sold his condo in Tampa last winter and he's had the same residence in Bloomfield Hills (suburb of Detroit) since he left for the TBay job.  I'm pretty sure his daughters are done with school and he and his wife are extremely close to their aging parents who are a few hours away from Detroit in the west Toronto suburbs.

The theory for a desperate Wings fan (me) is that he'll join the Wings organization as Holland's successor (Holland's contract is up in April 2020) next summer before Ken hands over the keys for good (for the love, please).

As a Habs fan it strikes me as curious that we talk about a missed opportunity with Brisebois but no talk that one of the best GM'S in Hockey is suddenly available.

I know in this case Yzerman is most likely going home to Detroit but it's annoying that the only people deemed to be "qualified" to coach or GM in Montreal have to speak French. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raken65 said:

As a Habs fan it strikes me as curious that we talk about a missed opportunity with Brisebois but no talk that one of the best GM'S in Hockey is suddenly available.

I know in this case Yzerman is most likely going home to Detroit but it's annoying that the only people deemed to be "qualified" to coach or GM in Montreal have to speak French. 

I'm pretty sure that's why I was passed over as GM of Montreal because I didn't speak French. Rotten buggers! I thought I had it aced!

1 hour ago, RegDunlop said:

How long until the Wings are back in business? It seems like this thing could get turned around quickly with Stevie at the helm and all the great 2018 draftees. Maybe a couple of years?

Who knows really? The defense is utter garbage. I'd say like 5 years away. Haha.