Auston Watson - 27 Games

Dougall

4 hours ago, Raken65 said:

Agreed as well and for some ridiculous reason the NHLPA are appealing

While I don't agree with it and the people representing him may not agree with it, the NHLPA will always appeal to try to protect the players and get the suspension reduced or overturned. In every professional sport you see where a suspension is appealed.

1 hour ago, djb738 said:

While I don't agree with it and the people representing him may not agree with it, the NHLPA will always appeal to try to protect the players and get the suspension reduced or overturned. In every professional sport you see where a suspension is appealed.

Yes I know and understand they're just doing their job but this is not a typical suspension , what can they possibly gain by appealing this? what does it say about the players if the suspension gets reduced even by a few games?

I think the backlash far outweighs the "solidarity" that they are projecting.

2 minutes ago, Raken65 said:

Yes I know and understand they're just doing their job but this is not a typical suspension , what can they possibly gain by appealing this? what does it say about the players if the suspension gets reduced even by a few games?

I think the backlash far outweighs the "solidarity" that they are projecting.

What they gain is the suspension possibly being reduced even by a couple of games which is looking out for the best interest of the player. In the end they have to do what they are there for, whether it is a typical suspension or not. This will go to an arbitrator and they will decide if the 27 game suspension fits the crime.

5 hours ago, djb738 said:

Oddly not 100% accurate.  I live in Toronto and we recently had a huge domestic violence story with the closer for the Blue Jays Roberto Osuna.  I'm sure that this story got traction in the US as well, but he was handed a 75 game suspension in which neither he or the union appealed.  They took the games and kept quiet.  I understand that's not the norm, but truly did happen. 

When it comes to domestic violence the optics are just plain bad. Ezekial Elliott for the Cowboys fought against his suspension and got raked over the coals for it and eventually had to take it anyway.  He should just take the 27 games and tank his lucky stars it was a full year or even more!

• Like 1

I Still feel the same way. i was immediately thinking the precedent was slava voynov. 

a friend of mine pointed out that voynov's situation was different in a few ways. he was not only charged with a crime but also had a visa to play here which was lost when he was convicted.  which means even if he wanted to there was really no other option for the NHL.  

Having said that. i still feel like its not enough. there will never be enough repercussions for miserable behavior like this. 

Edited by Ydomat