Marchand jumps Eller

Chavz25

Marchand gonna Marchard 

For those that didn't see it Lars Eller celebrated the 7th goal of the game by the Boston Bench. (probably not the coolest thing to do)

Well Mr Marchand didn't like this and decided he needed to send a message with his fists. (definitively not nice)

What do you guys think? Good job "sending a message" or should he get something for it? Suspended? Fined? Hookers and Blow with Gary Bettman? 

What happened to consent in a fight? This is garbage. 

I understand that players get angry or want other players to pay for their prior "dirty" plays, but this is obnoxious. They're down 0-7. You expect to be taunted. Grow up.

Marchand had 7 fighting majors before this. Lars Eller? 0. Real tough.

Personally, I get that Marchand wanted to stick up for his own, and his team's, pride. But, the penalty for this kind of retaliation should be more than a few games. I don't want to see this stuff become commonplace and watch players go down with concussions. This could seriously ruin careers...and lives.

Bang on, Bags. Marchand feeling he needs to beat up on a guy who wants nothing to do with it, is like Trump addressing the #MeToo national convention. The old days are long gone, and I hope the old ways of the NHL looking the other way are as well. They made a good step with Tom Wilson ... time to follow that up with Marchand.

• Like 1

I disagree. Taunting does not equal consent.

However, taunting does fire up the other team and they will remember you and what you did. The other team should wait for the right moment to take out their frustrations. You can't just jump a player with your fists. That would be setting the precedent that if a player drops his gloves and grabs you, you HAVE TO fight him. That's ludicrous.

You don't have to fight someone because you laid a hard, legal check. You don't have to fight someone because their feelings got hurt. 

I miss fighting in the game, but this isn't fighting. Don't agree with taunting, not sure if i see taunting. First game of the year, guys can be happy scoring a goal to start the year of right even if it made the score 7 zip. I like Marchand going after him, but he took it too far(a la Domi Ekblad)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, barrett said:

maybe badminton is more your sport then....welcome to hockey. Nothing wrong with what he did and it's been like that for years. 

Just because it's been that way doesn't mean we have to keep it the same. Look at Wilson's hit, 10-15 years ago we see Scott Stevens do that we all say how the guy shouldn't have had his head down.

Would you prefer we go back to no helmets? Game was played like that for more than 50 years we should go back to how it was! 

See now you go to the other extreme. which is take everything away. Its not taking it out of the game its all about the right time and place for these things. You can hit people, maybe not when there head is down, or if they just moved the puck, or if they are away three feet from the boards with their back turned. 

We can all agree the league used to be if you put yourself in that position and got hurt it was your fault, now the league is if you see someone is vulnerable you shouldn't hit them because you will hurt them. 

Likewise with fighting, If you and a guy square up and fight its fine, but if you punch a guy thats unwilling to fight and only has to fight because he is already being punched that is wrong 

It weird cause when marchand taunts and never engages or turtles everyone loses their mind calling him a wuss agitator and shit disturber with no spine. Same with Kadri. Now that he did engage and ?????

Eller threw punches back, he didn't turtle as most unwilling fighters do. 

I don't think any of this was fantastic but we're really using a lot of skewed lenses to look at this situation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jawlesscdizzle said:

It weird cause when marchand taunts and never engages or turtles everyone loses their mind calling him a wuss agitator and shit disturber with no spine. Same with Kadri. Now that he did engage and ?????

Eller threw punches back, he didn't turtle as most unwilling fighters do. 

I don't think any of this was fantastic but we're really using a lot of skewed lenses to look at this situation

Of course Ellers fought back and didn't turtle. I'm not sure there are many people when getting punched in the head that would just sit there and take it without trying to defend themselves.

Celebrations and taunting are apart of all sports. Should a player be jumped every time...heck no. As Bagwell, mentioned what if Ellers (who didn't want to fight) got knocked out cold fell back and bashed his head against the ice causing him to have concussion symptoms for the rest of his life....maybe that is the extreme but it could happen....all because someones feelings were hurt because they got taunted being down 7-0.

• Like 1

Marchand only has 8 majors that's a fight a year in the nhl almost. For all the shit he does. He does not engage a majority of the time in relation to how much he does to irk the other team who want a piece of him. To me to stir the pot and not engage is a straight turtle. 

Kadri does the same. Runs his mouth till the refs hold him back then he pretends he wants a piece. 

They are so effective at what they do but they rarely fight despite being asked to go frequently. 

• Like 1