Tanner Pearson

Sammynos

I don't think Pearson's terrible... I think he is (or at least, should be) a solid 20+20 player.  As opposed to Hagelin who is more of a 10+20 kind of guy.  Pearson's also 4 years younger.  You make a good point about the term...  it's a little bit of a risk.  But we've seen Penguins reclamation projects go pretty well in the past, I have faith they can turn Pearson around... kind of like Sheahan last year.

This trade definitely doesn't solve the Penguins' problems (which are primarily their third line center and their D), but I think it's an upgrade.  Hopefully it can have some kind of positive impact on the room and overall team energy.  Sad for Hornqvist though... he and Hagelin are really close friends.

I think that Pearson is a higher upside guy and fits the mold of a top-six player in the Pittsburgh system more than Hagelin did. I could see Pearson playing will on a line with Crosby who likes to control the puck below the goal line and dish it to the middle. Chances were that Hagelin was gone after this season anyway, so the extra years at a low(er) cap hit are a positive for Pittsburgh. 

I wonder where this leaves Sprong...he was set to be the guy they shipped out, but I assume money was the issue. There is clearly a disconnect between him and Sullivan.

Sprong's gotta go.  Although, to be fair... Wilson hasn't been any more effective on the fourth line than Sprong was.  When Brassard comes back, the logjam gets real.  Problem for the Penguins is that their most logical trade assets (Sprong and Brassard) aren't doing anything to increase their trade value...  Those two players also only hit the Pens' cap for a total of $3.75 mil, so there's not a lot of wiggle room.

This will hopefully help the offensive side as Pearson is a significant upgrade over Haggy. Haggy is all speed, good forechecker and PK, but has little offensive upside, even with playing most of the year with Malkin. Will this solve all the Pens issues YTD, probably not. 

A lot of noise about Sprong, and he is not, nor will never be a 4th line grinder. He needs a chance of playing 5+ games with a good center, like Brassard when he returns. He has offensive upside, but Sully has to put him in a position to at least have a chance to show his offensive upside. Will he get the chance, unfortunately does not look like Sully is too high on Sprong. 

Do do they miss Schultz, YES, a lot. In my opinion, they just don’t have the speed on defense to continue pinch every chance they have. No wing support when pinching allows for way to many breakaways or odd man rushes. This is coaching and game planning, and allow Sully. For now they just need to try too play a conservative defensive game, and hopefully capitalize on their offensive opportunities.

Murray simply has to play better, so hopefully he can do that tonight. 

Sid was held out of practice yesterday, so let’s hope that’s not an issue. If he misses several games, either the team falls apart or they rally and play smart, fast and aggressive hockey.

1 hour ago, bill0755 said:

This will hopefully help the offensive side as Pearson is a significant upgrade over Haggy. Haggy is all speed, good forechecker and PK, but has little offensive upside, even with playing most of the year with Malkin. Will this solve all the Pens issues YTD, probably not. 

A lot of noise about Sprong, and he is not, nor will never be a 4th line grinder. He needs a chance of playing 5+ games with a good center, like Brassard when he returns. He has offensive upside, but Sully has to put him in a position to at least have a chance to show his offensive upside. Will he get the chance, unfortunately does not look like Sully is too high on Sprong. 

Do do they miss Schultz, YES, a lot. In my opinion, they just don’t have the speed on defense to continue pinch every chance they have. No wing support when pinching allows for way to many breakaways or odd man rushes. This is coaching and game planning, and allow Sully. For now they just need to try too play a conservative defensive game, and hopefully capitalize on their offensive opportunities.

Murray simply has to play better, so hopefully he can do that tonight. 

Sid was held out of practice yesterday, so let’s hope that’s not an issue. If he misses several games, either the team falls apart or they rally and play smart, fast and aggressive hockey.

Youll b fine. When crosby gets hurt , malkin turns into an unstopable machine