Out goes chiarelli

Vegeta

He was brutal but also gave us the Oilers first playoff run in a decade. While I fantasize what a Hall - McDavid - Draisaitl top line (with a competent Eberle on the 2nd line) could have done to the league, I'm now kind of stuck wondering - What the hell do they do now? Chiarelli + McLellan were both external hires with pretty legit credentials (I realize Chia left on a bad note in Boston) and things still soured on them remarkably quickly.

That defense is horendous   .  Talbot is bad  koskinen been bad for a while. They have no depth past mcdavid draisaitl rnh. The only quick fix is trading  one of the big  2 . The problem  ia they have no cap space and they xabt even bring back sekera  ... no cap....

I don't know much about Hunter other than he was in the running for the Leafs job. Not sure how to feel about it, though he's definitely been successful.

That defense is horendous

Well, it's only horrendous because Chiarelli couldn't adapt. His solution to replacing our top puck mover (Klefbom, injured) was by trading for Petrovic and Manning... two guys who definitely aren't going to replace that capability in any way, shape or form. Right now we have nothing but defensive Dmen in the top six, so who's getting the puck to McDavid? I think that decision is making the entire team way worse off than it is. With Klefbom and Sekera (hopefully) coming back, we should see an improvement. On top of that, guys like Jones, Bear, Bouchard are making their way up as decent puck movers. I think by next year the D core will be balanced and our focus will be on finding some dang wingers.

It's a mess. Nicholson's press conference is playing very badly here in Edmonton. Nice of him to fly in from Toronto to tell us that the players in the room are fine. Why fire the GM if the players in the room, along with a few smaller pieces, are good? The entire scene is dripping with incompetence. Bhagdad Bob tells us there's something in the water and he doesn't know what it is, yet he will fix it. It's clear after yesterday that not only does he have no idea what's wrong with this team, but has no idea as to how to fix it. Maybe a little less red wine and a little more drinking of his own poisoned water, would go a lot further to finding a solution to this talent-starved-bottom-18, cap-strapped team.

3 hours ago, Duxburger said:

maybe Steve Y ?

Gosh. Best suggestion yet. They'd have to make him the highest-paid GM in history, though, to even get him to look their way. Katz does have some of the deepest pockets in the league ...

4 hours ago, byz said:

I don't know much about Hunter other than he was in the running for the Leafs job. Not sure how to feel about it, though he's definitely been successful.

Well, it's only horrendous because Chiarelli couldn't adapt. His solution to replacing our top puck mover (Klefbom, injured) was by trading for Petrovic and Manning... two guys who definitely aren't going to replace that capability in any way, shape or form. Right now we have nothing but defensive Dmen in the top six, so who's getting the puck to McDavid? I think that decision is making the entire team way worse off than it is. With Klefbom and Sekera (hopefully) coming back, we should see an improvement. On top of that, guys like Jones, Bear, Bouchard are making their way up as decent puck movers. I think by next year the D core will be balanced and our focus will be on finding some dang wingers.

I also think the injuries played a big part. It would be better if Klefbom was their second-best puck-moving defenceman, though. The trades have been painful. Lucic hasn't panned out, obviously. I have no idea why their latest first-round picks can't seem to do anything while peers their age are.

But despite all that, the amusing part is they have most of the same roster that a good portion of so-called "expert" pundits predicted just 16 months ago would finish atop the Western Conference in 2017-18. That's why I never really believe much of what the sky is falling talking heads think.

They could easily turn this thing around next season. Wouldn't surprise me. But one thing's for sure, they have to absolutely knock the next GM hire out of the park.

• Like 1