World Cup of Hockey

byz

Anybody watching these pre-tournament games?

I missed Canada/USA last night, but by all accounts it was a crazy game. There were a lot of people doubting that the players would take this tournament seriously, me included, but watching Czech/Russia right now is proving me wrong wrong wrong. I'm watching Hemsky throwing hits here - he's probably matched his number of hits this one game as he did in 10 years with the Oilers! 

I wasn't sure if I'd care, but I'm getting in to it. That young team looks like it'll be really fun to watch! And it's pretty cool anytime you get the best players together and actually trying their best. 

Ladt night it looked like Canada was ready for an exhibition game, but the US kept hitting until Canada got pissed off.

I agree that level isn't completely there but I'm just excited for hockey. While I agree with you James about the Team North America and Team Europe, Team North America is so much fun to watch the way they fly around the ice. I agree Zipper, USA came to play last night and Canada didn't until it was too late. I am excited to watch them play again tonight though, I think it could be a whole different story.

Im sure NHL clubs aren't to happy about some of these injuries that have already occurred or are going to occur.

Yeah, you can sometimes tell that these guys haven't played a game in a few months, but they're definitely going all out - really fun to watch so far. And as gimmicky as Team North America is, you can tell they really want to win this thing, and other teams really don't want to lose to them. During the second intermission on Thursday, Sportsnet interviewed Gaborik - he seemed completely out of breath and pissed off about being down by three to a bunch of kids.

I was a big Anti-World Cup person since I feel it's the Big Business side of Hockey that prefers a format that they can control rather than being involved with the IOC and the Olympics. Now that I've viewed a few pre-season games, it's clear the players came into this tournament determined to play great hockey. As a Fantasy Hockey enthusiast, I find the format brings to life the type of teams we often compete with. Whomever came up the the idea of fielding a North American team and European team with the National teams should be recognized as being brilliant. It has brought a special energy to this series and will probably be one of the major reasons it will continue. I would love to see the young NA kids (funny what we call twenty year old's sometimes) win the World Cup as a undefeated team.

Edited by Salros

9 hours ago, Salros said:

I was a big Anti-World Cup person since I feel it's the Big Business side of Hockey that prefers a format that they can control rather than being involved with the IOC and the Olympics. Now that I've viewed a few pre-season games, it's clear the players came into this tournament determined to play great hockey. As a Fantasy Hockey enthusiast, I find the format brings to life the type of teams we often compete with. Whomever came up the the idea of fielding a North American team and European team with the National teams should be recognized as being brilliant. It has brought a special energy to this series and will probably be one of the major reasons it will continue. I would love to see the young NA kids (funny what we call twenty year old's sometimes) win the World Cup as a undefeated team.

sadly nothing is stoping the canada train