Yakupov article from STL NHL.com writer

Ydomat

We sometimes forget that they are people first, then hockey players. I hope everything works out for him. I traded for him thinking that he was going to be traded in the summer and get a fresh start. When that didn't happen I thought oh oh. If he wasn't traded I think he would have gone home. Good move for the Blues. ( errr and hopefully for The Rainman.)

Edited by The Rainman

Yeah looks like a lot got in his head and he lives the kind of lifestyle where he has a lot of time to think.  I bet the Blues end up with a gamer.  My one concern is the Hitchcock effect like Filatov, we'll see.  I think Yak had a ton of talent if they put him in the right role with the right line-mates.

Edited by fukufuji

Still think the jury is out on him big time. He was never THE guy in Edmonton as the quote in this article suggests. The Oilers had three players who were more go-to than he was when he came into the league. Never had to be THE guy and he couldn't succeed. It's because he didn't go into traffic. Didn't play defence. Didn't even score when he should have. Was invisible far too often. Perimeter players rarely find success in the NHL, but maybe he'll buck the trend in St. Louis. We'll see.

It's funny how this article skips right over Taylor Hall.  He's already been erased from the Edmonton record books, I see.

"And living in a hockey hotbed like Edmonton, which had its share of top overall picks in recent years (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in 2011, Yakupov in 2012 and Connor McDavid in 2015), high performance wasn't a wish, it was expected."

41 minutes ago, James said:

It's funny how this article skips right over Taylor Hall.  He's already been erased from the Edmonton record books, I see.

"And living in a hockey hotbed like Edmonton, which had its share of top overall picks in recent years (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in 2011, Yakupov in 2012 and Connor McDavid in 2015), high performance wasn't a wish, it was expected."

I suppose the assumption is that hes listing the ones still playing there. but it is an odd omission since hall has been pretty much their best player in recent years. 

12 hours ago, originaljroc said:

Still think the jury is out on him big time. He was never THE guy in Edmonton as the quote in this article suggests. The Oilers had three players who were more go-to than he was when he came into the league. Never had to be THE guy and he couldn't succeed. It's because he didn't go into traffic. Didn't play defence. Didn't even score when he should have. Was invisible far too often. Perimeter players rarely find success in the NHL, but maybe he'll buck the trend in St. Louis. We'll see.

Boy it sure sounds like you aren't interested in making a trade for him! Keep it under your hat but he's available.

• Like 1