Therrien Out, Julien In

byz

The Canadiens shocked the hockey world and shook up the Eastern Conference on Tuesday by firing Therrien after five seasons and hiring Julien, who was himself fired by the rival Boston Bruins on Feb. 7.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/claude-julien-replaces-michel-therrien-in-montreal-coaching-shocker-220022105.html

No thoughts of my own yet, but figured it's worth posting.

I like Veg's take - Danault does benefit a lot from his linemates. He's a guy who's good at playing with guys who are good - can't break a game open on his own. I'd like to see Galchenyuk and Duchene as centres #1 and #2, and have Tomas Turtleneck move into a full-time shutdown role.

Edited by RegDunlop

1 hour ago, byz said:

Honest question, how's Danault been playing and do you think this change will affect him? He kinda came out of nowhere and suddenly has 30 points..

Well, he was already playing on the top line and had the coach's confidence, so it's not really going to improve his situation.

But, as Vegeta has hinted he plays a smart defensively-responsible game and in that sense has been a good complement to Pacioretty (who can be lazy on the back check) and Radulov (who can seem lost in his own zone). I think he's the type of player Julien will appreciate, so this isn't necessarily bad news for him.

That said, Therrien had a very short leash on Galchenyuk (rightly so in my opinion). Julien might have different ideas on that front, at least initially. That might take some opportunities away from Danault.

Danault is clearly a solid two-way NHLer, I think the jury is still out on whether he belongs on a top 6 full time.

2 minutes ago, RegDunlop said:

I like Veg's take - Danault does benefit a lot from his linemates. He's a guy who's good at playing with guys who are good - can't break a game open on his own. I'd like to see Galchenyuk and Duchene as centres #1 and #2, and have Tomas Turtleneck move into a full-time shutdown role.

I think the only way Duchene is in a Habs uniform is if Galchenyuk is wearing an Avs sweater.  

Well I think Id prefer to keep galchenyuk over duchene,   galchenyuk is pretty much  where duchene is but  much younger and still a better upside.  so if that trade goes thrue  we better have something else along duchene or ill burn my sweater on facebook live.

As stated above I think  Julien will find his Chris Kelly into danault,   I think daneault pretty much gels  with anyone he plays with,  But he wont drive offense and cant be relied on as a  top 2 C in this league ( there have been surprise  before ) But  usuly ppl that breakout unexpectedly are    later round draft pick who where chosen late for  a specific reason ( Maturiry,size,behavior,commitement) read there Jamie benn ( he wasnt sure if he would play hockey or  baseball profesionaly at 18yearsold)  not people like danault who were drafted  in the 1st round because the scout think its a safe pick because they like the guy attitude rather than the guy  skillset. 

to the point  if it was julien fault,  I think  after some time  changes are needed,  boston been running the same core for a decade or so at some point  you have to move foward and  the easiest way to change stuff is to fire the coach.  I dont think  its a salty situation for boston because they  already always  get rekt by montreal, so things shouldnt change but boy would I love to see mtl eliminate  boston from the playoffs