Marner on D

leevaughn

I used to do this on my beer league team. I’d put our best winger back on D if we were down. Got him more ice time, and generated a lot of offense. Plus his above average skating usually offset any defensive IQ deficiencies.

Worked like a charm in the “lower bronze” division in harbor city, ca. I’m skeptical it translates to the pros…

8 minutes ago, James said:

Hell of a thing for his fantasy value, though, if he gets D eligibility. 

Wow, good call. But is position eligibility adjusted based on Game Day registered line-ups or on shifts taken at a certain position? The latter doesn't seem feasible and the former would likely never have Marner listed at D on a registered line-up. I wish I knew how more parts of life work.

Yeah I’ve never really known how that works. I feel like juuso riikola played a few games at wing a couple years back, and I don’t think he got eligibility. But it’s almost always a natural defenseman playing up, so it’s not much of a value add. When it’s a natural forward playing back, it’s huge. 

• Stick Tap 1

7 hours ago, Ralphdog said:

Wow, good call. But is position eligibility adjusted based on Game Day registered line-ups or on shifts taken at a certain position? The latter doesn't seem feasible and the former would likely never have Marner listed at D on a registered line-up. I wish I knew how more parts of life work.

I looked into it last year and emailed Fantrax (because I desperately wanted Stephenson to get Winger eligibility 😂) and Fantrax said the rough rule they use is 10 games played at a position will trigger them to add a position. They also take into consideration the permanency of the change and if it’s likely to happen again (if due to someone else’s injury), and other subtle reasons like that. Doesn’t explain how they determine eligibility at season start, but at least puts some light on the logic. I do believe they use a third party data resource for eligibility and then can adjust from that as they see fit. 

I’d guess Marner never gets D eligibility similar to how forwards who play “D” on the powerplay don’t get eligibility. They may be replacing a defenseman on the ice, but they are definitely not there to act as a defensemen. Especially if it is only in certain situations like late in the game down by a goal spots. In that sense it is very similar to power play situations. 

Edited by BenB17
  • Stick Tap 1

10 hours ago, huntz71 said:

It’s for late in the game when down 1-2 goals. Trying to generate offense.

Just shows the confidence the Leafs have in their D. 
I’m sure it will be short lived if it’s a train wreck.

They did the opposite with Byfuglien and it worked out really well for the teams that used him as a forward periodically.