Begging for Money

James

I don't usually post things like this (although I have no problem when you all do!), but I'm rallying hard for a cause this year, so why not...

NCAA Division III athletics played a huge part in my life -- I was a three-sport athlete in college (cross country, indoor track, outdoor track), and the support I got from the teams/coaches and lessons I learned on/off the track were significant in my development as a human.  But, as you may or may not know, D3 sports receive significantly less funding from their institutions as compared to D1, especially at the more academically-oriented schools like Vassar College.  As a result, the burden falls more directly to the athletes, who are already broke college students, to fund their own activities.  This includes paying out of pocket for shoes.  Did you know, the average college runner spends somewhere between $2000 and $3000 on shoes each year?  Not having proper footwear (or wearing worn-out shoes) leads to injuries -- I've experienced this first-hand.

Vassar's "Brewer Fund" is running it's annual one-day fundraising campaign today (through noon eastern on Friday).  The number of donors counts almost as much as the number of dollars.  If you're so inclined, giving even $5 would make a huge difference in their fundraising efforts, as they try to hit specific preset targets to unlock additional funding.

Here is the link to donate: https://www.givecampus.com/schools/VassarCollege/vassar-athletics-day-of-giving

If you donate, please direct your funds to either Cross Country or Track & Field (or both).

Thanks for your consideration!

• Stick Tap 1

Is this where the BrewPens and other Brew related names have come from?!

D3 life! I went to Delaware Valley College (now University) and feel you on the support differences. I remember talking to someone I played football with in an All-Star Game when he came home from Rutgers on winter break. He said that he sent all of his clothes home with his family because when he moved in, the wardrobe was completely filled with Rutgers related apparel and gear thanks to the football/athletics program. When I moved in, we got a 2 t-shirts and 1 pair if shorts that we were required to wear during any non-full pad practices. As someone who sweats a lot...washing those on a regular basis was a challenge. Thankfully, they at least gave us a laundry bag that the equipment manager and interns (other football players) would take care of for us.

Ha yeahhhh… my campus job was doing that laundry haha. Thankfully we didn’t have a football team, but the rugby players would bring home some nasty gear. 

and yes, indeed, it explains the Brewpens. Vassar’s founder (Matthew Vassar) was a brewer, so when the college went coed in the 60s they adopted Brewers as the mascot to replace the traditional “Roses”

• Like 1