The Official Expansion Draft Thread

Vegeta

Just figured I would  start this since  its   a rather Unique Event 

share what you think!

- Thorburn from winnipeg? huh ok? dano, enstrom...
- Bringing Garisson ON stage  when  Vegas just basicly said  It took a top prospect a 2nd and a 4th round pick Just to take you on our team talk about Savage

-Tortorella winning the jack adams   feels so wrong ( even tho  hes deserving)

-Bergeron Wife is a  sight to  see

1 hour ago, Zipper14 said:

Wnnipeg gave up a pick (a first?) to protect its good guys. Guess a fighter helps 'sell' the game. 

I'm shocked they didn't take more goalies.  Seems like they took a lot of bottom pairing d.  Didn't think there'd be a market for the TVR types. 

Yeah i made the post prior to the deal beeing announced it does make sense now, i don5 know about mtl  they have 4 D benn petry weber davidson to start the season and still no #1 C and galchenyuk wont bring in a top 4D + #1C so theres that

1 hour ago, Zipper14 said:

Wnnipeg gave up a pick (a first?) to protect its good guys. Guess a fighter helps 'sell' the game. 

I'm shocked they didn't take more goalies.  Seems like they took a lot of bottom pairing d.  Didn't think there'd be a market for the TVR types. 

I'm also shocked. It was the right call only taking the minimum amount of forwards, but I thought they go something like 5 goalies and 11 defencemen instead. But they must be convinced there isn't a trade market for goalies right now. The Mrazek and Grubauer passes remain head scratchers.

He's the same Caps GM that traded Forsberg for Erat?

He certainly had an opportunity to draft a team with some good young talent such as Dumba and several others but decided to roll the dice and secure several 1st round picks in some say a down draft year and "hope" they become impact players in 2-4 years.

Just thought he could have done both to some degree by drafting the best player available on each team, then trading some of those higher quality assets after the draft, as I was not impressed with is approach to build this expansion team that cost $500M  

4 hours ago, bill0755 said:

He's the same Caps GM that traded Forsberg for Erat?

He certainly had an opportunity to draft a team with some good young talent such as Dumba and several others but decided to roll the dice and secure several 1st round picks in some say a down draft year and "hope" they become impact players in 2-4 years.

Just thought he could have done both to some degree by drafting the best player available on each team, then trading some of those higher quality assets after the draft, as I was not impressed with is approach to build this expansion team that cost $500M  

If he was to draft the best player left unprotected from every team in the Expansion Draft, they would be $20M over the Salary Cap. They took quite a few third pairing, and bottom six forwards, and just came in under the $75M Cap. They were also able to accumulate some good looking prospects (Tuch, Gusev, Theadore), while also drafting quality players from those teams (Garrison, Haula). And three picks in the top 16 in this draft. I count that as a win. 

Able to keep his team relatively competitive for a couple years, not have their fan base leave them, and also having an eye out for the future. 

Also, if the other 30 GM's knew he would take the best available, and not allow them to work out a deal, a lot of those players would've been dealt beforehand. No chance ANA, MIN, TBL, WPG, CLB, etc leaves those quality players available, knowing they could be taken for free. 

Edited by connorhood27

13 hours ago, Vegeta said:

Yeah i made the post prior to the deal beeing announced it does make sense now, i don5 know about mtl  they have 4 D benn petry weber davidson to start the season and still no #1 C and galchenyuk wont bring in a top 4D + #1C so theres that

Schlemko is underrated, I like that pickup for them. Don't know if he's better than Emilen, tho. 

What i have been hearing is that yeah he could of taken manson and dumba but likely if GMGM didn't reach these middle ground deals then GMBM and Fletcher would of traded them away prior to the freeze and guaranteed that there wouldn't of been good pieces there waiting for them to take for the expansion. Mutually assured destruction is the term i here being used. So i think that yes it wasn't the best possible team they could of taken on paper, but it was the best middle ground that they could snag. 

McPhee may be banking on the belief that playing nice in the sandbox will result in better relationships in the future. I believe he was a bit too nice. But he is in the right place to be a gambler. It will be very interesting to see who's on the team at the end of the season.

Edited by Salros

So, with those picks in the first round, VGK ended up with Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki, and Erik Brannstrom. Honestly, that's a pretty awesome haul!

That being said, I think they're going to SUCK this year. Yeah, they have Neal, a decent defense, Fleury, and may sign some Russian free agents. But, everyone else seems to be a complementary player - Eakin, Haula, Bellemare, Thorburn, Perron, etc.

It looks like they still need to offload some defense though, so this may change. Currently they have:

Methot
Garrison
Emelin
Sbisa
Stoner
Engelland
McNabb
Merrill
C. Miller
Theodore
Schmidt