fabbri out for the year

Vegeta

Yeah this sucks... only silver lining is that opens another spot for the 4 or 5 guys battling for spots.

Is it a St. Louis thing....

Sam Bradford back to back knee injuries.... Fabbri same thing... hmmm.

Blues Fabbri, Steen, Bouwmeester, sanford all injured right now. some out for extended time.

But I keep my PPS spot which seems to have more flexibility in how I use it. And if I use an IR spot I can pick up a player without taking on his contract long term. 

I guess its it's a personal preference whether you want to pick up someone and actually add their contract or just do a 1 year IR fill. The nice thing with the IR fill in is you can take a big contract (if you have the cap space) and only worry about it for this year and then walk away clean. 

Yeah I have a long-term injury on one of my teams and I'll be using IR, not PPS. Because PPS necessarily comes at a cost (the cost of dropping a player), I see it as a very, very exceptional thing. I had Strome a couple of seasons ago when he was sent down, and I wonder whether I would have even used it then. Taking a couple million off the books in order to have that 12th forward for a couple of months probably wouldn't have been worth it.

James' thinking wiht the PPS is not another avenue for Streaming players, its to allow teams flexibility when they have longterm issues or injuries.

the PPS is perfect because it allows you to stash that player who you KNOW is out for the year and that does not take up an IR spot.  meaning if you have other injured players that are injured in the short term they can still occupy your IR slots  and you get Replacements for them.

if you put fabbri on IR you are locked in to a replacement for his spot and managing that all year. as opposed to opening up a roster spot entirely. meaning anyone can fill that space and you dont need to manage the replacement aspect. 

Yes its a choice how you use it. but the intent is to provide more flexibility around players who are out long term. 

This is the Capwise solution to prorated LTIR that the NHL uses among other things. 

if a player is on IR a whole season the team gets almost thier whole aav back in space.  and they can use that however they want.  (this is how the NHL works not Capwise for clarity sake). 

there is also the injured players who DONT go to IR (for whatever reason) those can also be used in this slot.  which is helpful if you just want to call up a youngster who is playing well, or get a few extra games you would otherwise miss in (since you cant use an IR spot for that player). 

Edited by Ydomat

12 minutes ago, Ydomat said:

This is the Capwise solution to prorated LTIR that the NHL uses among other things. 

if a player is on IR a whole season the team gets almost thier whole aav back in space.  and they can use that however they want.  (this is how the NHL works not Capwise for clarity sake). 

there is also the injured players who DONT go to IR (for whatever reason) those can also be used in this slot.  which is helpful if you just want to call up a youngster who is playing well, or get a few extra games you would otherwise miss in (since you cant use an IR spot for that player). 

Yeah that's a much "cheaper" way to use the PPS because you only pay the call up fee. I hadn't thought of that.