Most Underrated Successful Prospect

byz

I want to hear more fantasy hockey stories! So let's do a thread in comparison to the most disappointing prospect thread and tell us your zero to hero fantasy prospect stories!

My personal favourite is drafting Tyson Barrie in round 7 of the PCFL's 2009 amateur draft. Kevin Shattenkirk had just been traded, and I figured the Avs were gearing up to be a high-offense team, so I picked up all their puck-moving D prospects - though I admit I had Cameron Gaunce rated and drafted higher than Barrie. Oops. 

Either way, Barrie turned out with 49 points in 78 games last year, making him one of my favourite picks ever. What's yours?

I picked up John Klingberg in every league I could before he played an NHL game. He turned out alright. Then again, I drop and pick up a ton of guys with little-to-no success, so this is pretty rare.

As far as drafting goes, I haven't been in the leagues long enough to see anyone pan out :(

I grabbed Jacob Markstrom very early on in PCFL season 1.  Hopefully that'll pay off soon!  I also got Joonas Donskoi in the 6th round in 2010.  Sadly gave up on him before he became (borderline) fantasy relevant.

In the ECFL I got Kyle Palmieri, Max Pacioretty, Lars Eller and Nick Bonino in the first draft.  I also used my 132nd pick in the Inaugural Draft to take a flyer on a Pens defenseman who had just completed a 3 goal season.  But Letang turned out to be pretty good!

17 minutes ago, Bagwell said:

I picked up John Klingberg in every league I could before he played an NHL game. He turned out alright. Then again, I drop and pick up a ton of guys with little-to-no success, so this is pretty rare.

As far as drafting goes, I haven't been in the leagues long enough to see anyone pan out :(

I've picked up a handful of guys who turned out pretty good - not "elite" but solid depth players,

Palat,
R. Smith
Lee

to name a few. I've drafted a few guys maybe higher than I should have but the still equate to low first or high second round NHL selections so I wouldn't really count that...

Just looking at my Capwise Amateur Drafts.

HUEL I drafted donskoi in last years amateur draft in 5th round @ #62, certainly has some good upside
HUEL I drafted reider in last years amateur draft in the 7th round @ #90, which seems to be good value
PCFL I drafted donskoi in last years amateur draft in the 5th round @ #57, certainly liked this player last year!!

I alsp pick up Klingberg off the waiver wire his first year and traded him for a 2nd round pick the following year as I did not believe he would live up to his new long term contract. Guess we all make some mistakes!!

My lucky moments and fortunate picks:

ECFL- Mrazek, Hoffman off waivers          2012 amateur draft- Rieder #98, Jimmy Vesey #99
Hoping 2013 #88 Bowey and 2014 #139 Christian Folin will be winners.

HUEL
Matt Murray off waivers after Citidels picked him in 2012 draft at #124 and dropped him.       2014 amateur draft- Rieder #97

IFHL- Hoping 2015 amateur draft- Saros #103 will be another Hasek.

Most of my scouting success came when I was an expansion team in the pcfl. The CHA started as just as 12 team PCFL, but expanded to 14 teams after two years. In my first year as a GM, I didn't have a team, but I did have a jv roster to manage.  It was interesting only focussing on young guys, but I ended up with some really good talent just by keeping an eye on the leagues around the world. 

Stepan was the second player I ever added to the team. Not sure I can ever trade him. Travis Hamonic was one of my first guys, too. I remember I made James sad when I added Roman Josi. I almost tried to trade him to James at that point.  Sorry, James! Adam Henrique was also awesome for me in his rookie year. 

Looking at my drafts, I don't have a Barrie like story. I got Justin Faulk in the 5th round, but couldn't handle his cap when he finished his elc. 

I got Panarin as a free agent in both leagues, last March. That's helped a lot. 

Edited by Zipper14

In my WCFL league I like to think I picked up some pretty decent players in later drafts.

2012 - 4th round 45th overall - Hampus Lindholm
2012- 10th round 129th overall- Nikita Kucherov

I have also picked up some decent prospects off waivers too. They haven't played yet but they are doing a lot better than everyone thought they would.

Spencer Watson - 7th round in real draft- 89 points in OHL reg- 17 point in Playoffs
Andrew Poturalski - Not drafted- 52 points in H-East College Leauge
Phil Myers - Not drafted- 45 points in QMJHL- +52 (dman)
Francis Perron - 7th round in real draft- 108 points in QMJHL- 33 in playoffs
Ilya Sorokin- 1.06 gaa in KHL
Anatoly Golyshev- 4th round real draft- 44 points in KHL