Tavares to the Big Smoke?

weeoiler

There's no way the NHL should allow this. It takes away the Islanders biggest bargaining chip, which puts it directly against the spirit of the rules. Dangerous precedent. The owners will be pisssssed (specifically pissed at the leafs, I'd say).

19 minutes ago, James said:

There's no way the NHL should allow this. It takes away the Islanders biggest bargaining chip, which puts it directly against the spirit of the rules. Dangerous precedent. The owners will be pisssssed (specifically pissed at the leafs, I'd say).

I agree....sounds similar to a Kovalchuk situation all over again.

I can't believe no one has thought of this before.  It's so simple and seems to fit exactly in the rules, but against the spirit of the rules. 

This has Laurence Gillman written all over it.  He was just hired by the Leafs.  When he was with the Canucks he thought up the Luongo contract, and the idea to keep a player on IR from the trade deadline onward in order to stay under the cap... and then just bring the player back for the playoffs (Sami Salo).   He was also previously hired by the league to aide with expansion, presumably to make sure there were no loopholes in the deal.

Per the CBA it has to be an extension to an existing contract. So in my mind even if they guarantee Tavares the extension he has to sign the one year deal first. And then until the extension is signed by both parties the other could always back out even if it was guaranteed up front.

37 minutes ago, Zipper14 said:

I can't believe no one has thought of this before.  It's so simple and seems to fit exactly in the rules, but against the spirit of the rules. 

This has Laurence Gillman written all over it.  He was just hired by the Leafs.  When he was with the Canucks he thought up the Luongo contract, and the idea to keep a player on IR from the trade deadline onward in order to stay under the cap... and then just bring the player back for the playoffs (Sami Salo).   He was also previously hired by the league to aide with expansion, presumably to make sure there were no loopholes in the deal.

Loophole Lou got replaced by Loophole Laurence

The deal is completely legal and follows the current CBA. They would have to wait until January 1st before they can sign the extension, but they can go 8 years at that point since they would own his current contract. They can afford the huge contract for this season upcoming because they will have tons of cap space.

The risk is all on JT in this scenario.  If he gets seriously injured before he signs an extension then he could be out the guaranteed 6 more years he would have had. Otherwise he can cash in.

I’m sure this deal can’t be put in writing at this time nor could it be verbally expressed publicly.  So the extension is not enforceable anyway.  If done for all intents and purposes it will be simply a 1 year deal.  Maybe with a wink wink nod nod attached.  

Cant see the Leafs braintrust putting the extension in writing, which would be a violation.

offering the 1 year 15.9 deal is a legal and creative way to compete for Tavares.  But it does put risk on Tavares and I don’t expect him to sign a 1 year deal.  I’m sure they also offered him a conventional deal of 7 * 10 plus as well.  May not be enough though.

i expect he stays put.

• Like 1

You could be right but he has ties to the city and can get an 8 year contract.  Lou is involved and will leave no stone unturned.  Most hockey commentators I’ve heard give best odds to NYI.  But who knows.  If he leaves the island I hope the hell he doesn’t go to the Bruins or Bolts.  Go west young man!

Never going to happen. Remember who's their coach. He's building the 1, 2 punch down the middle as he had with Datsyuk, Zetterberg during the time Detroit was successful. Looking around the league, most of the successful teams have 2 great centers. I expect 5 years from now, Tavares and Matthews will still be together. And this trade will makes Matthews' life much easier and he'll be a better player because of it.

Edited by Salros
  • Like 1