July 1st UFA Thread - Winners and Losers

bill0755

42 minutes ago, djb738 said:

Pretty clear the Leafs don’t see Matthews as a number 1 center.

I don't necessarily think this is true. I think they saw the opportunity to lure in another #1 center so they they are super difficult to play against. Pittsburgh has it with Malkin and Crosby. Two guys who are #1 centers on just about every team, but work in tandem to create matchup nightmares. 

19 minutes ago, Sammynos said:

I don't necessarily think this is true. I think they saw the opportunity to lure in another #1 center so they they are super difficult to play against. Pittsburgh has it with Malkin and Crosby. Two guys who are #1 centers on just about every team, but work in tandem to create matchup nightmares. 

I agree I just enjoy trolling the Leafs.

I think Hyman stays with Matthews.

Marleau   Tavares   Nylander

Hyman  Matthews  Marner

a 1st class PP of

Marner   Tavares   Nylander

Matthews   Rielly

and with the potential rise of Ozhiganoz, Dermott, Borgman and Liljegren and a resurgence of Zaitzev on the blueline, the Leafs should be playing a lot of Playoff games in the next 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kapanen, Kadri and Johnson is better than a lot of third lines out there. Kapanen and Johnson would be in most teams’ top six. 

Fourth line one of Brown, Cracknell, Martin? Maybe that’s a bit below average, but they can add a depth piece at the deadline. 

51 minutes ago, Zipper14 said:

Kapanen, Kadri and Johnson is better than a lot of third lines out there. Kapanen and Johnson would be in most teams’ top six. 

Fourth line one of Brown, Cracknell, Martin? Maybe that’s a bit below average, but they can add a depth piece at the deadline. 

Martin will be gone I figure.  Cracknell could be with the Marlies.  I think Lindholm at Center, Brown and, well an open spot for now.  I like the Grundstrom kid but not sure he’s ready.  Leivo?, meh, maybe.  I wouldn’t be upset with keeping Martin but he seems halfway out the door and his salary needs to go before next season.  I figure Grundstrom is the new Uncle Leo come next year.  I also really like that 3rd line.  All 3 are defensively responsible yet with speed and a scoring ability.

This is a fun time to be a Leaf fan.

2 hours ago, Salros said:

I think Hyman stays with Matthews.

Marleau   Tavares   Nylander

Hyman  Matthews  Marner

a 1st class PP of

Marner   Tavares   Nylander

Matthews   Rielly

and with the potential rise of Ozhiganoz, Dermott, Borgman and Liljegren and a resurgence of Zaitzev on the blueline, the Leafs should be playing a lot of Playoff games in the next 5 years.

Sounds like Marner/Hyman with Tavares and Nylander/Marleau with Mathews.

i love the potential of Johnnson/Kapanen with Kadri 

So I've decided that the BIGGEST winner of this year's free agency signings is............ME!!!!!

And all of the other hard bitten die hard Toronto based Leaf fans.  It was a beautiful sign to see my team finally convince not only a quality local player to come home, but a SUPERSTAR local player to come home.  Just three years ago and for the past decade none of this would have been possible.  The Maple Leafs are officially no longer the Maple Laughs and have FINALLY turned the corner into a quality franchise again.  No more half measures and cut and paste rebuilds.  Shanahan played in Detroit and learned the most important rule by one of the best GM's Ken Holland...surround yourself with as much talent as you can.  

Can't wait for October!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluecharm said:

Martin will be gone I figure.  Cracknell could be with the Marlies.  I think Lindholm at Center, Brown and, well an open spot for now.  I like the Grundstrom kid but not sure he’s ready.  Leivo?, meh, maybe.  I wouldn’t be upset with keeping Martin but he seems halfway out the door and his salary needs to go before next season.  I figure Grundstrom is the new Uncle Leo come next year.  I also really like that 3rd line.  All 3 are defensively responsible yet with speed and a scoring ability.

This is a fun time to be a Leaf fan.

Oh yea, I forgot about Leivo. He’ll work as a 4th line centre. Still lots of other talent in the minors who might work with him and Brown.