Sens Dumpster Fire

barrett

Can't say Dorion is great at trading, so that doesn't give much hope for getting fair asking price in offloading those veterans.

If there is a hope for Sens fans, though, it's that Dorion and his crew are actually really good at the draft table. I'd put them top 10 in the league, for sure, and possibly even top five in their work at the draft table. That's way more than can be said for ... ahem ... the Oilers, for example.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, originaljroc said:

Can't say Dorion is great at trading, so that doesn't give much hope for getting fair asking price in offloading those veterans.

If there is a hope for Sens fans, though, it's that Dorion and his crew are actually really good at the draft table. I'd put them top 10 in the league, for sure, and possibly even top five in their work at the draft table. That's way more than can be said for ... ahem ... the Oilers, for example.

Dorion hasn't been good at drafting in years IMO. He had some good calls with Karlson and so on in the past but as a fan I don't think they've done too well. I will find the tweet with the info but other than Batherson and Formenton not much beyond the 2nd round in the last 5 years has panned out. 

More of a gut feeling. I’ve just said to myself more than once in the past few drafts that they made a very shrewd pick where they were picking. Tkachuk was, arguably, the best pick of the first round this year where they got him.

Let’s put it this way: there are many other GMs you scratch your head at in the draft before Dorion.

He might be the worst GM in the NHL at trading, though, so I’m not really saying they’re in good hands overall.

Agree with JRoc. I'd easily have Dorion in the bottom 3 among GM's in trading. 

Notable trades:

Shane Bowers, First round pick, third round pick, Andrew Hammond for Matt Duchene: Duchene is a good player. Good, not great. This could be one of the worst trades ever if Colorado gets a top 5 pick, which is expected. 

Mike Hoffman for Mikkel Boedker and Julius Bergman: Makes sense to trade Hoffman, but this return makes no sense. No way this was their best offer, and it shows a lack of direction. Rebuilding? Contending? Who knows?

Zibanejad & 2nd Rounder for Brassard and a 7th: Ouch. Zibanejad is younger, more productive, AND they gave up a second round pick

Jonathan Dahlen for Alex Burrows: Another bust. Dahlen looks good, and Burrows is out of the league. 

13 hours ago, connorhood27 said:

Mike Hoffman for Mikkel Boedker and Julius Bergman: Makes sense to trade Hoffman, but this return makes no sense. No way this was their best offer, and it shows a lack of direction. Rebuilding? Contending? Who knows?

I won't try to excuse the other ones. But the Hoffman trade was a gun to his head due to the legal battle and whatever BS was happening behind the scenes. Agreed it wasn't great. but he had no choice.