Marchand jumps Eller

Chavz25

I think this discussion illustrates the difficulty of finding the right “place” for fighting in the game.

Some people thought the NHL had done that by eliminating “staged” fights. But then you have situations like this one, where the question of whether Eller consented (either by taunting or trying to fight back) is certainly debatable.

We’re never going to find the right place for fighting in the game and we’re never going to all agree in situations like this.

I think that’s a very strong argument in favour of banning fighting altogether.

I hate to say it, and I don’t want to open up a much larger can of worms here... but as much as I love old time hockey, I think this incident and the discussion around it show that it’s time to move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, knobert said:

Sorry to be late to the discussion ......

I'm with Barrett on this, don't taunt and then expect to not pay for it. That starts when you are a kid!! 

Don't lose by 7 goals and expect to not get taunted....plus these are grown men not kids we are talking about.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chavz25 said:

So can we all agree Marchand is a snowflake and we need to give him a safe space that he can lick people and not get taunted by people?

He is the real victim here.... 

Right guys....

Play a god damn competitive sport and then make a comment. You can hate on Marchand all you want but there's at least 30 other guys in the league that would have done the same thing. Lars isn't a 15 year old. He knew what he was doing and got what he deserved. 

Marchand isn't the snowflake. The new group of hockey who want fighting out are the real snowflakes. 

23 minutes ago, barrett said:

Play a god damn competitive sport and then make a comment.

For the sake of accuracy, it should be pointed out that fighting is banned in every other "goddamn competitive sport" and is in fact banned in most non-North American pro hockey leagues.

Edited by Thunder
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, barrett said:

Play a god damn competitive sport and then make a comment. You can hate on Marchand all you want but there's at least 30 other guys in the league that would have done the same thing. Lars isn't a 15 year old. He knew what he was doing and got what he deserved. 

Marchand isn't the snowflake. The new group of hockey who want fighting out are the real snowflakes. 

Chris. First, uncalled for. Second that comment was facetious in the sense that obviously marchand isn't the victim in the whole situation.

You know it is possible that we can both be right in the situation right. Yes we can say he stood up for a guy that hot dogged a 7-0 goal. Did he have to jump him and start punching to send that message no. He could have just hit him hard to send a message sure but that's not the same as punching him in the face. But yes if Ella's wants to be a prick he deserves to have some shit thrown his way. Is the appropriate response to jump him? Maybe not. If he hit someone from behind in a playoff game and broke his face then ya a good ass whooping is acceptable. (Ie. McCarty on Lemieux) that was good ol' hockey, and the retribution for the original act. What Marchand did, although it can be justified, was out of proportion to what Ellar did and therefore was probably excessive. 

Also I'm fine with fighting In the game if both people want to fight, it's not the same as staged fighting like there was prevented but if two guys WANT to fight then there is nothing wrong with it. 

Lets let this go. Nothing is coming from this, and besides we already know nothing is coming from this so there is no point arguing

• Like 1

For the record,  I am anti fighting in hockey,  and I HATE Marchand,  but Marchand was in the right here. Washington's goal celebrations have gotten so obnoxious... someone needed to do something. This is the game policing itself to maintain certain aspects of its character and integrity. 

Fighting should result in an automatic game misconduct,  in my opinion. Players would still do it when necessary,  just like charging the mound in baseball. But it would be done sparingly... once every 15 or 20 games. 

• Like 3

Marchand deserve to be freight train  by tom wilson

How about this  :

marchand licks eller. 

tom wilson  takes the midnight train onto marchand head . Marchand is out for the year beheaded. And wilson isbanned for life. Now thats  killing 2 snowflake with 1 firetorch

Best thing the NHL can do is agree with James on this. Automatic game misconduct. I would also give another game if the fight were in the third period. This would take fighting way down and it would eventually grandfather itself out of the game. 

If I wanna watch a fight, Ill tune in and watch Boxing or UFC. 

I love Marchand's jam but to me this was a mugging and a beatdown of a guy that wanted no part of it. Just because it happened on a frozen sheet of ice doesnt change that.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Festivus Bastards said:

I miss the good ol days when you wanted to see a fight, a good ol hockey fight all a guy had to do was turn the channel(physically to TVA channel 5 and watch a few minutes of The Habs and The Nordiques....ah them there were the days...

The thing with me and I'm sure with a few other of our brethren is that, I also have a fondness for those days. Evolution man. You can't fight it. 

Edited by Ralphdog