NHL Point System Poll

weeoiler

10 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

Think of it this way  because its bigger its actually smaller.

Sometimes, my wife buys that line, Veg, but I don't think that applies here.

If you're suggesting that defenses just sit in a tight circle around their net to diffuse offenses, I can't see how that would work. I think it would bring back real hockey plays, not detract from it.

Bigger is bigger. That's not me. It's science.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chavz25 said:

i see this has gone away from point system to rink size debate. just throwing my two cents in on that. No owner will give up 2000 of their highest priced seats just to make the rink bigger. So no matter how much we all would want it its never going to happen, Bettman works for the owners, and will never make that change to the NHL

This is, sadly, the end of the conversation.  100% right... it's never going to happen.  Just like a 65-game schedule.  Costs the owners too much money.

1 hour ago, weeoiler said:

Sometimes, my wife buys that line, Veg, but I don't think that applies here.

If you're suggesting that defenses just sit in a tight circle around their net to diffuse offenses, I can't see how that would work. I think it would bring back real hockey plays, not detract from it.

Bigger is bigger. That's not me. It's science.

bigger  ice   = bigger problems when out of position =  less incentive  to get out of position

4 hours ago, Vegeta said:

The thing is it doeant give skilled players any real room,  since  the opposing team plays tighter  then on a normal rink to prevent any sizable gap basicly defense over compensate/simplified their play. On a smaller  rink u can over extend a little bit to open up the play  because  the only way way to abuse that is a perfect play.  On a big rink you have more space   so defenseman play much more  safer.

Think of it this way  because its bigger its actually smaller.

Are they playing tighter to the player or closer to their position, feels a little contradictory no? I think giving a Mcdavid or Mckinnon more room to wheel and create plays is sorta the optimal situation. Good deal either way not many D are going to keep up with them. I say do it

35 minutes ago, jawlesscdizzle said:

Are they playing tighter to the player or closer to their position, feels a little contradictory no? I think giving a Mcdavid or Mckinnon more room to wheel and create plays is sorta the optimal situation. Good deal either way not many D are going to keep up with them. I say do it

Canada couldnt break thrue the latvian wall for 57minute . And thats the best hockey team ever assembled vs 2nd tier league nobodies.  Im telling you its a much more passive game.  Sure mcdavid on the break/turn over  will eat dman alive   and powerplay will have an increase in  %  but the overall game  is stale.

18 minutes ago, James said:

That just tells me the NHL is better than all other are better

107 goals in vancouver olympic vs 90 in sochi. Same amount of game played

Women tournament in vancouver 

105goal

Women tournament in sochi 64

Edited by Vegeta

2 hours ago, Vegeta said:

Canada couldnt break thrue the latvian wall for 57minute . And thats the best hockey team ever assembled vs 2nd tier league nobodies.  Im telling you its a much more passive game.  Sure mcdavid on the break/turn over  will eat dman alive   and powerplay will have an increase in  %  but the overall game  is stale.

That’s one instance. Doesn’t refute anything beyond it was an awkward game on Olympic sized ice. Especially once you throw in that most of those players on the Canadian team do not have habits or muscle memory for rinks that size. 

9 minutes ago, jawlesscdizzle said:

That’s one instance. Doesn’t refute anything beyond it was an awkward game on Olympic sized ice. Especially once you throw in that most of those players on the Canadian team do not have habits or muscle memory for rinks that size. 

1 hour ago, Vegeta said:

107 goals in vancouver olympic vs 90 in sochi. Same amount of game played

Women tournament in vancouver 

105goal

Women tournament in sochi 64

misclic it was 54 goals  for the women

Edited by Vegeta

article  citing brodeur, benn , ramsay and a few other illustrating my point

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2018/01/30/bigger-ice-make-a-big-difference-for-olympic-hockey-teams.html

slower pace puck possesion game,  lots of board and perimeter play which i dont think are really exciting. lots of 0-4-1 trap play  angles are weirdwhen trying to run around a dman cuz ur always 10feet further than nhl size rink

22 hours ago, Vegeta said:

Fun stat: 2017-2018

Nhl over ppg player 21

Khl over ppg player 3 

ShL over ppg player 1

Smliiga over ppg player 3

Ahl over ppg player 3

I can see it that the NHL is just a much better league with much better players, the AHL matches any other top league as well.

My opinion is bigger ice would open things up considerably for the top players in the world. 

Veg is 100% right on this one. 

Bigger rinks slow the game down and take away from scoring. 

Bigger rink means players have more room to back-up when they can’t decide what to do with the puck. 

There is less incentive to forecheck because they’ll just back up, and if you chase you’ll just be out of position when they attack. 

Defending players are taught to not pursue  a player if he is outside of the face off dots. Doing that creates lanes and wastes energy. 

Bigger rinks do favour speedier players, but they also favour players who benefit from having more time (players with worse hands, and players who can’t think the game fast enough), so it doesn’t necessarily add to the skill. 

It also hurts the ability to generate offence off the cycle. Once you do the work on the boards and beat a guy, you’re further away from the net, so the rest of the defending team has more time to react and get in shooting lanes. 

Think of it this way: the scoring area remains the same, but now there’s more perimeter to work with.  That doesn’t help with scoring. 

I like that it would reduce injury. But the pace would slow down. 

Edited by Zipper14
  • Like 1