Seattle team is a GO for 2021

Duxburger

Figured it was a done deal, but now that it is official what do you guys think?

what's the Name gonna be ? what kind of success do you feel it this franchise will have in its first year? is going to have a Vegas style Season ?

what about the Yotes moving to the Central Div?

i feel after the Draft Vegas had, we'll probably see some fine tuning on that front. but i am excited to see the league grow to 32 teams.

Finally an even number !!!

These are mostly stupid.  Kraken? Come on.  

I doubt they go with Kraken.  And they won't go with Cougars (too many Huskies fans would hate them; plus the Victoria Cougars are a historical rival of the Seattle Metropolitans, right?).  Whales won't happen because of the Canucks.  Eagles won't happen because of Philly.  Totems won't happen because it toes that line of political correctness... why risk it.  Although it is among the most obvious choices... it's been used many times for Seattle hockey teams, and I've never heard it used anywhere else for a sports team.

So you're left with the following, ranked in my order of preference...

1) Evergreens/Emeralds -- Might as well lump these two together.  I do think green will be featured prominently in the color scheme.  For some reason, I feel like Emeralds is the more likely of these two.

2) Rainiers -- OK, I guess?  

3) Seals/Sea Lions -- These are basically interchangeable.  There's already been a Seals, so I don't think they'd go that way.  Sea Lions is fine.

4) Sockeyes -- Like the article implies... don't name your team after a fish.

5) Firebirds -- OK, but awfully close to the Thunderbirds, who I assume are continuing to play in Seattle?

6) Renegades -- Yawn.

Kind of surprised they don't have Metropolitans on there.  Everyone loves a throwback, and they are one of the oldest pro hockey teams around.  Going back to a classic name worked for Ottawa!

14 minutes ago, James said:

These are mostly stupid.  Kraken? Come on.  

I doubt they go with Kraken.  And they won't go with Cougars (too many Huskies fans would hate them; plus the Victoria Cougars are a historical rival of the Seattle Metropolitans, right?).  Whales won't happen because of the Canucks.  Eagles won't happen because of Philly.  Totems won't happen because it toes that line of political correctness... why risk it.  Although it is among the most obvious choices... it's been used many times for Seattle hockey teams, and I've never heard it used anywhere else for a sports team.

So you're left with the following, ranked in my order of preference...

1) Evergreens/Emeralds -- Might as well lump these two together.  I do think green will be featured prominently in the color scheme.  For some reason, I feel like Emeralds is the more likely of these two.

2) Rainiers -- OK, I guess?  

3) Seals/Sea Lions -- These are basically interchangeable.  There's already been a Seals, so I don't think they'd go that way.  Sea Lions is fine.

4) Sockeyes -- Like the article implies... don't name your team after a fish.

5) Firebirds -- OK, but awfully close to the Thunderbirds, who I assume are continuing to play in Seattle?

6) Renegades -- Yawn.

Kind of surprised they don't have Metropolitans on there.  Everyone loves a throwback, and they are one of the oldest pro hockey teams around.  Going back to a classic name worked for Ottawa!

Worked? In 2021 they are called the nordiques book it!

The expansion draft will be really interesting with Vegas being exempt. They could really benefit: 1) Obviously cause they don't have to lose a player. 2) They could swings some deals with the 31 other teams again, by trading for other teams' expansion target players. Will be interesting to watch the first few weeks of the 2021 offseason.

5 hours ago, James said:

If the NHL didn't have stupid division names then it might be possible. I miss the good old days of the Adams Division and the Prince of Wales Conference, but that's another discussion.

I like Emeralds, but what's the logo? Some silly crystal? You want a bad-ass logo, you go with a Kraken. Give it emerald eyes, Minnesota Timberwolves style. 

Edited by RegDunlop

18 hours ago, James said:

OHL - Flint Firebirds

19 hours ago, Festivus Bastards said:

Seattle Reign

AHL - Ontario Reign 

It's going to be tough. I do like Seattle Sound, but they'd have to come up with something creative to make the logo different from STL.

1 hour ago, Bagwell said:

OHL - Flint Firebirds

AHL - Ontario Reign 

It's going to be tough. I do like Seattle Sound, but they'd have to come up with something creative to make the logo different from STL.

I doubt they'd do Sound because of the Seattle Sounders, who are wildly popular there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Rainman said:

It's gotta be The Seattle Totems!!

Some great history with the Seattle Totems ... my pick too. Just don't know if the new ownership group is going to want to create any PR issues with the Native-American population there. If not, I guess Sea Lions would be my pick. Ties in nicely with the Seahawks. Does every land animal have a sea-counterpart? Are there Searacoons? I think biologists just got lazy when it came to naming the ocean folk.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a great thread at sportslogos.net setting out various names and logo options. One guy in particular who seems to have amazing graphic design skills has been playing with various concepts and it's pretty cool to see them evolve (it's a long thread). Here's my favourite so far. The S logo and barber pole design are a cool throwback to the Metropolitans, IMO.

nP19Zkj.jpg

Edited by RegDunlop
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm a big fan of the sock-eye secondary logo in that one. As for names, one of the ones from the thread I mentioned earlier that we haven't discussed here is the Seattle Pilots. The former MLB team was short lived - it would be cool to see them reborn as a hockey team. Here's the rendering from sportslogos.net. Not sure I like the colours but the propeller logo is cool:

xrkXIhi.jpg

• Like 1