Leafs lackluster play

Bluecharm

Geez,  I am a diehard Leaf fan.  It is frustrating the hell out of me how they are playing.  They don't hit anyone, literally do not use the body at all.  I find myself missing Uncle Leo and Matt Martin.  I know they have skill to burn.  With a nucleus of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly, Andersen, Nylander and maybe Kadri and Kapanen they should be very good well into the future.  But for God's sake play with some heart!  I think Kadri is less irrating to the opposition because he can't do it alone!

Last night in Detroit they were lucky to come out with one point!  They refused to dump the puck in at the opposition blueline and continually lost possession trying to enter the zone.  Del Larose ran Andersen but got no pushback for it... nothing.  I blame this on Babcock.  No way a coach should let this happen.  I think they are tuning him out.  I also think Dubas has to do something more than Muzzin.  He had his issues last night but he gets a pass for a couple games yet.   But they need some heavy forwards.  Gauthier is massive but he doesn't play physical at all.  He's not scoring so WTF is the point of having him there.  Matthews is a big man but is not physical.  Tavares is not too bad that way and neither is Kapanen.  But beyond the core I mentioned get some grit FFS.  It's sickening.

I really think that if they don't get past the first round, or miss the playoffs, (it's possible) Babcock has to go.  This team is seriously underperforming.  They don't look like a team who could get by the first round.  Not a bit.  While I'm optimistic for the future...

My god I miss the likes of Gary Robert,sTie Domi and Darcy Tucker like  in those playoff battles with Ottawa.  I can barely watch Toronto right now.

All right I will be delighted if they prove me wrong.  I really hope they do.

Sorry about the rant!    

• Like 2

It'd be nice to add some sandpaper to this lineup. I think the some of the current "forecheckers" don't fit well into this line up for what you cold get for similar money. Michael Ferland is a name the Leafs should consider as an option at the deadline/July 1. Better if they could get someone like Josh Anderson, who has another year after this season. Both guys are cheaper than someone like Connor Brown or Zach Hyman, can provide similar offence, and are willing to throw their weight around and drop their gloves if need be. It'll be interesting to see if Dubas moves anyone around before the deadline or at the draft. 

• Like 1