Trouba to NYR

clarry85

12 hours ago, Vegeta said:

so in reality , its trouba +lemieux vs pionk, and 3 weeks of hayes

Yikes, sounds bad, but Chevy knew that Trouba wanted to play in the states, so guess that was the best he could do. Assume now they will probably resign Myers since Trouba has departed

23 minutes ago, Duxburger said:

Trouba is gonna be asking for some stupid money ! Another hold out, guess he has Arbitrator? 

He does have arbitration rights. But NYR also only have one defenceman signed beyond 2020-21 (Skeji). Similar story upfront with Zibanejad being the only forward after 2020-21. Rangers will be in a great spot in regards to cap, so if they give Trouba a slightly higher (but still reasonable) contract, they should be fine, as all their current big contracts (see ya, Smith and Staal) will expire before the young talent like Chytil, Kakko, and Fox need their raises. I could also see Hank going the Pekka route and signing smaller 1-2 year deals for ~$5mil until Shestkerin is 100% ready to be the starter. 

TLDR: Rangers could be very scary in a couple of years

21 hours ago, Duxburger said:

what are your thoughts on what he'll get paid ? is he getting an 8 year deal at 8 or even 9 mil per ?

I think $8-8.25 mil would be the generous side I mentioned earlier. One surprising comparison: Victor Hedman. Hear me out on this one, I swear it's not that crazy (stats-wise).

HvT.PNG

As shown above, the overall points/game difference was very small (0.05). Can Trouba demand that near 11% cap hit. I would doubt it. Hedman's contract came on the back 14 points in 17 games in the play offs, while Trouba seems to slow a lot in production come post season (6 points in 27 games). However, he could use this comparable to up his stock, and maybe get closer to the $8mil AAV Dux mentioned earlier. One thing to keep in mind: Hedman also signed this deal one year before he had to. Considering he put up 72 points in 79 games, he would've made more money. All in all should be an interesting negotiation, and just some thoughts on a surprising statistical comparable.

I think he ends up in the $7.25-7.75 range.

Edited by clarry85
  • Like 1