Draft Lottery

Festivus

I was just reading something on Sportsnet about the draft lottery, and with NJ picking 1st for the 2nd time in 3 years, and of course Edmonton picking 1st as many times as they did; if it was time to maybe re-examine the draft lottery system. I myself don't mind it too much, but if they were going to tweak it, i would say teams 8 to 15 should all have very minimal chance of moving way up the draftboard, and displacing teams that really need the early picks to help retool and rebuild.

But there's always the worry of teams tanking.

What i think would be a great way to deal with these issues perhaps, would be to have a mini-playoffs of sorts. Something like with the 15 teams that don't make the playoffs, there would be 3 mini playoffs to determine the draft order 1 to 5, 6 to 10, and 11 to 15. Call it Draft Battle 1, Draft Battle 5, and Draft Battle 10. 

Set it up so that teams would fight for their draft position. Set it up so that perhaps teams fight to the bitter end of the regular season, for home ice advantage in a Draft Battle. Maybe something like 2 games each, some type of format, maybe where the 1st worst team in each Battle would get a bye. Then 2nd and 3rd worst teams play, and 4th and 5th worst teams play. From the 2 losing teams one is eliminated, on some predetermined factor(least goals or something)Then the worst team who got a bye plays a one team, the other two teams play and the 2 winners play for the top pick.

I dunno, but something of the sort. It would give teams extra home gate and revenue and generate some sort of excitement in cities where hope is all but lost.

Crazy far fetched?

3 hours ago, Vegeta said:

gives a shot at team in the deadzone (perenial 9th place team)  to find something

Are you referring to any team in particular? :D

I like the idea of incentivizing, either with some sort of playoff, or the so-called “Gold Plan”, whereby teams “bank” points toward their draft position as soon as they get eliminated. It’s basically an “alternative” regular season, rather than the “alternative” playoffs that Festivus suggests above. Either one would be great!