Andrew Shaw to Hawks

Thunder

For picks. 2nd and 7th in 2020; 3rd in 2021. Habs also sending a 7th in 2021.

Bergevin making room.

I was a fan of Shaw. Thought he brought something important to the table and never agreed his contract was too much. Curious to know who that money is for, though.

Edited by Thunder

5 minutes ago, RegDunlop said:

Also that return is terrible.

We acquired him for two second rounders three years ago. Seems like a fair return. 

Just stings that one of those picks ended up Debrincat, but who knows who we would have drafted at that spot. 

That was actually a good deal. And Shaw wasn’t as attractive a player then. He just had a monster year and is super cheap. Less term remaining, obviously, but still.

I sure hope MB isn’t making room for Letang. I love him as a player but the celebrity of being a francophone Quebecer playing for the Habs will kill him - it’s not a good fit.

Deslauriers also shipped out to ANA.

We had too many NHL contracts signed. This makes room.

Never heard anything about Letang. Not sure I see why either team would do that. 

A UFA seems more likely. To my knowledge, Duchene is the only one who actually met with the team. There have been rumours of the team having interest in Lee, though I didn’t hear anything about him being interested.

Never really heard anything concrete about Gardiner. Just people surmising it’d be a good fit.

I also wonder if Bergevin could be tempted to give Sekera a shot. Could be a low risk gamble.

Re: Letang, Pittsburgh has been looking to move him for a while. Maybe less so now that Kessel is gone. A blog called Pittsburgh Hockey Now cited a “well-placed source within the Canadiens organization” about a week ago.

Anyway, back to the point - this Shaw move doesn’t seem entirely necessary to me from a cap perspective. Boo, I say. Boo.

It’s necessary if they intend to sign a big name.

They still have to sign a backup, Armia and Lehkonen. That did not leave enough money for a top UFA.

There have also been rumours of an offer sheet. That could be fun, though unlikely. Still, I’ll be dreaming of Provorov tonight...