Free Agent Frenzy Thread

Sammynos

Just now, djb738 said:

Hurricanes made $109M in revenue in 2017-2018 and that was with no playoffs. Exactly and that statement from Waddell made it sound like they have already made up their mind.

makes  no  sense to not match,  but why  offersheet someone if  you dont have a chance to get him

1 minute ago, djb738 said:

But if they are referring to $21M of just tickets that doesn't include media, merchandise, and other revenue streams.

yeah    thats it,  I think a trade  can be made within  7days right?  between montreal and carolina

Just now, Vegeta said:

makes  no  sense to not match,  but why  offersheet someone if  you dont have a chance to get him

Good question but I think they made it very clear from the beginning they would match any offer and it's not like they are in salary cap trouble and can't match it.

Just now, djb738 said:

Good question but I think they made it very clear from the beginning they would match any offer and it's not like they are in salary cap trouble and can't match it.

still think the issue  is  the actual bucket of  money, not the aav,  if  montreal thinks carolina are  cheapos i mean thats  the only angle  that make  sense

17 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

yeah bergevin  is saying it right now. the aav  doesnt matter  its only  a  Money  move,  they beleive  carolina cant  poney up, why not  big buisness move XD

That’s an interesting assumption that Carolina can’t pony up. I would say maybe in the past that would be the case but I think it is a different situation with Dundon.

Bergevin is funny saying that Aho wants to be in Montreal. He may but part of me thinks Aho signed it because the Canes weren’t offering the salary he wanted and this got him there and he also preferred a 5 year deal to a 7/8 year deal. Also, this sets up Aho nicely with a potential lockout coming up because I believe he would still receive bonus money during the lockout just not salary.

19 minutes ago, djb738 said:

Bergevin is funny saying that Aho wants to be in Montreal. He may but part of me thinks Aho signed it because the Canes weren’t offering the salary he wanted and this got him there and he also preferred a 5 year deal to a 7/8 year deal. Also, this sets up Aho nicely with a potential lockout coming up because I believe he would still receive bonus money during the lockout just not salary.

the question is  do you want anderslee  at 9m ? or gardiner at 7.5?

17 minutes ago, djb738 said:

I agree. My feeling is that this offer was too light on compensation to really have a chance. It feels like Bergevin is preparing his alibi for any questions about Montreal's inability to land any difference makers in the free agent sweepstakes this year......"Hey look, we really tried hard...".

I say they could've tried harder

3 minutes ago, Ralphdog said:

I agree. My feeling is that this offer was too light on compensation to really have a chance. It feels like Bergevin is preparing his alibi for any questions about Montreal's inability to land any difference makers in the free agent sweepstakes this year......"Hey look, we really tried hard...".

But, is Button choosing his own clothes?

Just now, Ralphdog said:

Disagree 100 %, what did you want them to do differently?

And yeah Carolina probably matches but the fact an offer sheet was laid out is ballsy and shows we're trying.

As far as Bergevin saying Aho wants to be here, of course he's going to say that it's business,the same way Waddell said he was surprised the offer wasn't more.

Fact is the Canes have to pay 21.5 in the next month.

We all bitch the NHL is not like the NBA and too conservative, well Bergevin just went all in and win or lose he made a statement period 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raken65 said:

Disagree 100 %, what did you want them to do differently?

And yeah Carolina probably matches but the fact an offer sheet was laid out is ballsy and shows we're trying.

As far as Bergevin saying Aho wants to be here, of course he's going to say that it's business,the same way Waddell said he was surprised the offer wasn't more.

Fact is the Canes have to pay 21.5 in the next month.

We all bitch the NHL is not like the NBA and too conservative, well Bergevin just went all in and win or lose he made a statement period 

I just think if they were really trying they would have come in with a stronger offer. It looks like they came in at the max amount of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd compensation but didn’t want to go to the next level.

Do they have to pay out the $21M in the next month? I thought it was just over the next year and the first year was like $11M.

• Like 1

Their offer came 400k under the next compensation level bracket and their was still another level up to the max bid. I like the offer sheet but it feels like in reality, there is not a 1% chance that it doesn't get matched. And if that is in fact the case, then what was it all for then. I say PR.

Edited by Ralphdog

15 minutes ago, Raken65 said:

Do they have to pay out the $21M in the next month? I thought it was just over the next year and the first year was like $11M.

They have to match the exact offer in the next week.

I agree there but the exact offer wasn’t paying him $21M next month I don’t believe. It was something like $700K salary year one with a $11M signing bonus then year 2 was similar salary and slightly less signing bonus but all of that equalling out to $21M in signing bonuses had to be paid out in the next calendar year (12 months).