Ilya Sorokin signed one year contract with NYI

orphans

The Islanders and Sorokin have already agreed to terms on his next contract, less than 24 hours after he signed his first one. The Russian netminder will sign a one-year deal for the 2020-21 season worth $2MM according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet.  This deal will still leave Sorokin as a restricted free agent in 2021 but gives the two sides a lot more time to work out a long-term deal.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Raken65 said:

So if I understand correctly Kaprizov, Sorokin and Romanov all lose a year per say of ELC which in theory makes them slightly less valuable from Capwise perspective correct?

Eh I think since we use AAV instead of cap hit, ELCs aren't inherently better... you could almost argue that if they get to RFA bidding with less NHL experience, their value increases. Time will tell i guess. 

12 minutes ago, holmes131 said:

both Sorokin and kaprizov will still be able to be put in the minors when they get another contract ,so they cant be bid on .if sorokins deal next year is 2 mil then the one after that might be 5 mil for 5 years. I think that's pretty valuable cuz he cant be bid on. no?

Exactly.  It's possible Sorokin could show up next year and play 66 games and lose eligibility...  but extremely unlikely.

1 hour ago, James said:

Eh I think since we use AAV instead of cap hit, ELCs aren't inherently better... you could almost argue that if they get to RFA bidding with less NHL experience, their value increases. Time will tell i guess. 

Yeah fair point getting to RFA with less experience could increase value.

Personally though I prefer having them on the cheap for that extra year.