Mulligans

Ralphdog

I didn't know where the term "mulligan" originated so I googled it. Apparently, David Bernard Mulligan, a Canadian amateur golfer made the term famous in the 1920's. Here are Mulligan's words from a 1952 interview.

“One day while playing in my usual foursome, I hit a ball off the first tee that was long enough but not straight. I was so provoked with myself that on impulse I stooped over and put another ball down. The other three looked at me with considerable puzzlement and one of them asked, “What are you doing?”

“’I’m taking a correction shot,’ I replied. ‘What do you call that?’ the partner inquired. Thinking fast, I told him that I called it a ‘mulligan’ . . . After that it became kind of an unwritten rule in our foursome that you could take an extra free shot on the first tee if you weren’t satisfied with the original. Naturally, this always was referred to as ‘taking a mulligan.’”

there is a version of this story where the golf course is in my hometown of Montreal. So says google.
  • Like 4

With so many of us around the world suffering with Covid-induced depression and anxiety, I thought it would be interesting if we could take a trip down memory lane and open up some old wounds and see if we couldn't hurt just a little bit more. 

Maybe we can share a few stories about a trade or a draft pick that we'd like to take a mulligan on. Or maybe a dropped player or whatever. 

Wow, that's a great idea! I'll go first.

I had the fourth pick  in the SFHL 2016 Inaugural draft. The three first off the board were Holtby, Crosby and Kane. The three right after my pick were Price, Ovechkin and Karlsson. My pick? Jake Allen. I remember telling a friend of mine around 2015 that the Blues were on the verge of being a dynasty and Allen was going to be a big part of that. Wrong on both counts. But I took some comfort when the Blues took it all a couple years back. I wasn't as wrong as I could have been, I suppose. Especially since Allen was clearly the back bone  of that championship run.

However, the Allen pick kept me out of the playoffs in that first year and my team dropped to dead last the next year. Things didn't turn around until I traded Allen in the offseason. 

Anyone else want a mulligan?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2017 Inaugural GNFL draft and my introduction to Capwise. I had never been in this type of pool, had been doing pools since the late '80s but only point pools with almost no trading. Ralphdog kept bugging me to join Capwise and just to shut him up I joined, I figured I'd hate it and quit after a year.

I was not prepared for the Inaugural draft, I had 3rd pick overall.

McDavid went 1st, Crosby 2nd.3rd pick...I freaking took Erik Karlsson cause I was used to point only leagues and at the time he was a top point producing defenseman. I'm still trying to recover from that.

I've made a lot of bad trades since then, too many too mention but trading Brady Tkachuk so the other guy would take Jake Allen off my hands immediately comes to mind as a horsesh#$ trade.

Back to Capwise, yeah I didn't wanna join and I wasn't crazy about it initially but 4 years later,after the love of my 7 year old daughter, Capwise is the love of my life !!

• Like 5

Staying with the GNFL, back in 2017 leading up to the amateur draft I offered Madisons Kennedys a 2018 1st round amateur for Montreal Canadiens' , Charles Hudon.

This recently inspired me to try and do a trade tree (a la Steve Dangle) to try and see just what i threw out the window. Because GM Raken65 makes so may trades I can't be sure if he didn't again trade the pick that belonged to me, however I believe he took Brady Tkachuk with his 1st round pick in 2018.

Of course there are others, but this one still stings, and I still cheer for Hudon to put it all together one day.

With the Habs, or any team for that matter.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Being around 10 years now I have a few mulligans that stand out.  In the long run you win some you lose some but heres a few highlights.

My first ever trade in Capwise was 10 years ago in my first league the ECFL.  At the time I was just getting interested in prospects and had the biggest man crush on Peter Mueller thinking he was the next big thing.  Traded away Ryan Johansen for him straight up. Three years later Johansen puts up 70 points at the same time Mueller now in the Swis league is playing for Kloten HC.  Mueller to his credit it has been lighting up the Czech and Austrian leagues the past few years ;)

The real killer however is this one.  What i was thinking?  I don't know.  Perhaps I was lulled into The Rainmans trance.  How could my fellow Langley BC gm rip me off right?  For the first two season I perhaps was ahead in the deal but wow did I ever give up on Draisatl too early.  Me throwing in the first rder to boot put this over the top.  Regret it to this day.

Leon Draisaitl

Cam Fowler

Jared McCann

2017 first rd Am (turns into Miro Heiskanen)

For

Blake Wheeler

Justin Faulk

$3,000,000

Rainman trading Draisatl 2 years later for a bag of pucks ( I mean Paul Stastny, Mark Jankowski and Kieffer Bellows) however is his story to tell ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Festivus said:

Staying with the GNFL, back in 2017 leading up to the amateur draft I offered Madisons Kennedys a 2018 1st round amateur for Montreal Canadiens' , Charles Hudon.

This recently inspired me to try and do a trade tree (a la Steve Dangle) to try and see just what i threw out the window. Because GM Raken65 makes so may trades I can't be sure if he didn't again trade the pick that belonged to me, however I believe he took Brady Tkachuk with his 1st round pick in 2018.

Of course there are others, but this one still stings, and I still cheer for Hudon to put it all together one day.

With the Habs, or any team for that matter.

Cheers.

Correct, I surprisingly kept that pick which turned out to be 3rd overall and selected Tkachuk. 

I then made the wonderful decision a few months later to trade Tkachuk along with Jake Allen for Varlamov and Owen Tippett. I no longer have either of those players and am now to irritated to see what lesser value I got for them lol.

• Like 2

loved me some Peter Mueller too!

8 hours ago, vojdog said:

Being around 10 years now I have a few mulligans that stand out.  In the long run you win some you lose some but heres a few highlights.

My first ever trade in Capwise was 10 years ago in my first league the ECFL.  At the time I was just getting interested in prospects and had the biggest man crush on Peter Mueller thinking he was the next big thing.  Traded away Ryan Johansen for him straight up. Three years later Johansen puts up 70 points at the same time Mueller now in the Swis league is playing for Kloten HC.  Mueller to his credit it has been lighting up the Czech and Austrian leagues the past few years ;)

The real killer however is this one.  What i was thinking?  I don't know.  Perhaps I was lulled into The Rainmans trance.  How could my fellow Langley BC gm rip me off right?  For the first two season I perhaps was ahead in the deal but wow did I ever give up on Draisatl too early.  Me throwing in the first rder to boot put this over the top.  Regret it to this day.

Leon Draisaitl

Cam Fowler

Jared McCann

For

Blake Wheeler

Justin Faulk

$3,000,000

Rainman trading Draisatl 2 years later for a bag of pucks ( I mean Paul Stastny, Mark Jankowski and Kieffer Bellows) however is his story to tell ;)

I was all in on Mueller too. Great minds, as they say lol

Some of my worst/craziest trade stories happened with James involved. This thread first started on the 2014 trade deadline when I dealt P.K. Subban (then one of the NHL's best D-men) for the beauty Slava Voynov, Beau Bennett (who?) and a second round amateur. Some cap space involving three different seasons also changed sides.

Voynov was arrested for beating his wife eight months after this deal and Bennett became nothing. But I salvaged something out of it when I flipped the second rounder to Half Centaurs (he selected Nikolai Goldobin) for a fourth rounder (I selected Brayden Point) and a second rounder the following draft (this became Travis Konecny). 

James came knocking again, though, on trade deadline 2016 and I went nuts, dealing him Brayden Point, along with Matthieu Perreault, Josh Morrissey, Esa Lindell, Erik Gudbranson and a conditional second round re-entry (where he selected Justin Schultz) for Milan Lucic, Alex Goligoski and $5.1M. Crazy town.

It will go down as the worst trade I've ever made, but I ended up winning the PCFL championship (believe it or not Goligoski put me over the top), so I guess I can't say it was a total loss.

Lesson learned. Never trade with the commish!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oh boy, I have so many. Like when I took Matt Hunwick one spot ahead of Brayden schenn in the 09 amateur draft. Or taking Teemu Pulkkinen 3 spots ahead of Holtby in 2010. 

Re entry drafts weren't much better. I drafted Ty Conklin... twice!

But trades... oh man. 

Kris Letang for Thomas Hickey? Sure, why not. Brad Marchand for Marek Zidlicky? Nice! JRoc mentioned the Lucic/Point deal above, but didn't include that i originally gave him Freddy Andersen for Lucic. Yeesh. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 10:10 PM, vojdog said:

Leon Draisaitl

Cam Fowler

Jared McCann

For

Blake Wheeler

Justin Faulk

$3,000,000

YIKES Herv! I was just beginning to start sleeping right through the night and then you have to bring this up! haha I traded not only  Draisaitl but Malkin, Point, Rantanen, Markstrom! All of them because I was over reacting which also means I was shitting myself on how much they were going to sign for. I have always said if you are going to enter the  trade market often enough you are going to make mistakes. If you're afraid of making mistakes then don't trade! Because of trading these blue chip players I have been able to land Peterson, Heiskanen,Tippett, Quinn Hughes, Brady Tkachuk, Morgan Frost, Konecny ,Podkolzin, Bowen Byram! I know only  a few are producing at the NHL level right now but I don't have a bare cupboard to show for the trades. The one trade that almost had me bringing out the rope and throwing it over the beam was the Casey Mittelstadt trade! I never had any intensions of trading this big boy! I thought this guy was going tobe the cats ass. But hasn't been as of yet but he still might be down the road. I never slept that night! It's not like I gave him away I believe I got two first round picks in that exchange. I do know when I've made a horse shit trade. And I've made enough of them! Oh Herv I have a fine young player for you in Kieffer Bellows.  Me thinks he'll be a force one day!  haha Who knows eh?

On 11/27/2020 at 10:10 PM, vojdog said:

Leon Draisaitl

Cam Fowler

Jared McCann

For

Blake Wheeler

Justin Faulk

$3,000,000

This is a great thread - makes us all feel better about our mistakes. As for me, my worst was this one from 2018 in the PCFL. I gave away...

Elias Lindholm

Zach Werenski  
Josh Norris  
Kasperi Kapanen  
5th Round Amateur  
2019 2nd Am (GTP)  

And I recieved...

Erik Haula

Drew Doughty

4th round amateur

$2,500,000

Haula and Doughty were basically rentals. They weren't great ones, and in any event, I wasn't truly in contention that year. I can't really explain why I made this trade other than to say that it was a desperate, sad, and impulsive move. Naturally, it led to a trade report that involved Richie Rich backing up a Brinks truck: https://capwisehockey.com/forums/topic/2729-what-the-haula-just-happened-here/?tab=comments#comment-20321. "What the Haula Just Happened Here?" asked Thunder in the title. Good question, buddy. To this day, I have no freaking idea.

Also, for any golfers out there, there's a version of the mulligan story in which the explanation is that Mr. Mulligan lived on the Island of Montreal and his golf club was on the South Shore. That meant that he would have to drive over the Victoria Bridge to get there. This was the 1920s, and back then, the Victoria Bridge was more suited for horse-drawn carriages; driving over it in a car caused your hands to vibrate a lot. So Mr. Mulligan, who was often late for his tee time, always needed a "correction shot" because his hands were still shaking from the drive to the course. I'm not sure if this is true or if it's just local legend, but there's a similar story here: https://www.countryclubmontreal.com/the-club/the-origin-of-the-mulligan

Edited by RegDunlop
  • Like 7

I've made my share of bad trades over the years, but one really stands out:

In the 2018 offseason, I traded:

Leon Draisaitl 

for

Clayton Keller

2nd round amateur (ended up Kaliyev)

$4M cash 

At the time, Draisaitl already had two 70+ seasons under his belt. As everyone knows, he would get 100+ points in the next two.

Keller was just coming off a 65 point season. His AAV was a fraction of Draisaitl's and I thought he was on the verge of becoming a superstar (I'm sure some guy said so on the Dobber forums). He ended up giving me two 40+ point seasons with some of the worst peripherals in fantasy hockey.

I basically carried deadweight on my team for two seasons instead of one of CHA's top performers. My reward? The Coyotes inexplicably signed a 40-point player to a $57M contract and I decided to walk away (just watch, that'll be my mulligan entry for next year).

What adds insult to injury is that I made this trade with weeoiler, who is possibly the biggest Oilers homer in CHA and probably would have given me half his team for Draisaitl if I'd only asked.

Epilogue

As for Kaliyev, I ended up trading him, Mantha and another 2nd amateur for Couturier (pricey but I stand by that trade), so I guess this can also be seen as 

Draisaitl

Mantha

2nd amateur 

for

Couturier

• Like 5

On 12/1/2020 at 1:43 PM, RegDunlop said:

This is a great thread - makes us all feel better about our mistakes. As for me, my worst was this one from 2018 in the PCFL. I gave away...

Elias Lindholm

Zach Werenski  
Josh Norris  
Kasperi Kapanen  
5th Round Amateur  
2019 2nd Am (GTP)  

And I recieved...

Erik Haula

Drew Doughty

4th round amateur

$2,500,000

Haula and Doughty were basically rentals. They weren't great ones, and in any event, I wasn't truly in contention that year. I can't really explain why I made this trade other than to say that it was a desperate, sad, and impulsive move. Naturally, it led to a trade report that involved Richie Rich backing up a Brinks truck: https://capwisehockey.com/forums/topic/2729-what-the-haula-just-happened-here/?tab=comments#comment-20321. "What the Haula Just Happened Here?" asked Thunder in the title. Good question, buddy. To this day, I have no freaking idea.

Holy crap did I ever sell high on Doughty in retrospect, hahaha. If it's any consolation, I went ahead and traded Lindholm right before his breakout with Calgary for a rental in Backstrom...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, frozenboards said:

I'm the Poster Kid for making bad decisions. A quick scan of the spreadsheet shows this jewel I'd like a re-do on:

I sure could have used Leon D's production the last few years. 

image.png

I later traded Domi, and am waiting on Anthony B to bloom.

image.png

Oh my!

I feel like we have a special bond.