World Juniors Discussion

byz

Hey all,

I realize the tournament is almost done, but I wanted to kick up a discussion thread asking about any players that are standing out for you. A lot of us are competitors here on Capwise, but I like to gain perspective on other NHL team's players I don't watch too closely.

To get us started, I think the most underrated player for Canada has been Philip Tomasino. Guy seems to be in the offensive zone and create something every time he's on the ice. Seems like he might be a great fit with Forsberg when he gets to Nashville.

I thought Noel Gunler was more prolific & impactful for Sweden than Holtz or Raymond, which surprised me. Elmer Söderblom was forced into the 1C role after Sweden lost their top 2 centers due to COVID, and he is a massive, massive human being. 6'8, and he's got some wheels. I didn't see the offensive upside but he might carve out a career ala Martin Hanzal with less offense. Bjornfot, Broberg and Soderstrom all look ready for the NHL or on the cusp.

Holy crap was that Czech team FAST. It's like they only took guys who were a 7/10 for speed or better. Stanislav Svozil looked really, really good and I bet he ends up being a top 15 draft pick next year.

Are there any semi-underrated players standing out for you folks?

There were a few players that impressed over the tourney, Lambert for Finland, Raska for Czechs, and Soderblom as well. As much as I love this tournament, I have to admit, it is quickly losing its luster with me. Same teams doing what they do every year. Basically not too hard to predict every games outcome. One idea I feel could make this fun again, is to send three teams to rep the country. CAN EAST, CAN WEST, AND CANADA THE REST LOL.

Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, Festivus said:

There were a few players that impressed over the tourney, Lambert for Finland, Raska for Czechs, and Soderblom as well. As much as I love this tournament, I have to admit, it is quickly losing its luster with me. Same teams doing what they do every year. Basically not too hard to predict every games outcome. One idea I feel could make this fun again, is to send three teams to rep the country. CAN EAST, CAN WEST, AND CANADA THE REST LOL.

Thoughts?

Canada would probably still win. By far the deepest talent pool in the world, although the U.S. is closing the gap.

If you consider all of the top players in the world (NHL rosters & prospects with a few top non-NHL European players thrown in), Canada could reasonably break into eight teams, the U.S. six, Russia four, Sweden 2.5, Finland two, Czech Republic one, Slovakia half, Switzerland 40%, Germany 30% and the rest between 5-10%.

I know this because I tried it with way too much time on my hands over lockdown. lol.

• Like 1