Seattle Expansion draft chatter

byz

Spoiler alerts, if you wanted to watch the "live" show later!

What are we all thinking of SEA's draft so far? I'll update this chart as we learn more but so far the team's rumoured to be looking like:

? - Gourde - Eberle
McCann - ? - Donskoi
Tanev - Blackwell - Appleton
Jarnkrok - Geekie - Bastian
Pitlick, Quenneville, Twarynski, Lind, True

Giordano (traded?) - Larsson
Dunn - Soucy (lefty)
Oleksiak - Lauzon (lefty)
Cholowski, Borgen, MacDermid, Fleury, Fleury, Bayreuther

Driedger
Vanecek
Daccord

• byz changed the title to Seattle Expansion draft chatter
36 minutes ago, byz said:

I am very upset about Larsson leaving the Oilers and I am currently inconsolable when it comes to talking about Ken Holland's summer so far.

It sounds like the money was similar, Larsson just wanted a change of scenery. I'm not sure there was much Holland could have done here, except offer a gross overpay (5x5). Not saying it isn't disappointing, though, especially since Seattle signed another one of their targets (Oleksiak). 

Do they now go all-in for Dougie Hamilton? Or check down to Tyson Barrie and hope he learns how to play defence? Are there any other cheap right Ds who might be lesser known that could play a defensive D role?

Surprised at the following:

Fleury > Larsson (ANA)

Geekie > Bean (CAR)

Twarynski > Anyone (PHI)

Soucy > Kahkonen (MIN) - although not terrible

All of the others aren't bad. I actually think this team will be pretty decent. Those are four solid NHL lines so far and a pretty good defensive unit.

Two comments about the goalies. First, I can't believe the Habs are not paying off Seattle in some way, shape, or form, to make sure that they can keep Price. There had to have been negotiations. And if there were negotiations and Bergevin said, "no, I'm calling your bluff, go ahead and pick Price," that would be wild. Brave and stupid and wild. If there weren't talks, then I'm freaking out because we now know that the Kraken had complete access to Price's medical file, which means that they didn't like what they saw. So I'm really hoping that we find out that there was some kind of bribe.

Second, I can see why they would want to take a chance that one of Driedger or Vanacek will emerge as a starter. Good call there, in my view. But Joey Daccord as the 3G? Why not take Kakhonen and then make a deal? Surely they could land something better than Soucy as the return, so I agree with Bagwell there - that's really odd pick.

1 hour ago, RegDunlop said:

Two comments about the goalies. First, I can't believe the Habs are not paying off Seattle in some way, shape, or form, to make sure that they can keep Price.

I think there's a heck of a lot more yet to unfold on this front with the Habs and more. They just can't announce the trades yet until later today or tomorrow(?) - I'm not sure on the timing.

As others have mentioned, I'm most surprised by the Carolina and Minnesota picks. I thought surely one of Bean or Nino would be picked. Also surprised no DeMelo and, to a lesser extent, no Domi.

It'll be interesting to see if some are explained by side deals. protecting Talbot over Kahkonen didn't make much sense at face value, so I'm assuming there was some kind of deal in place. Or maybe I'm just out to lunch on the guy, but I thought he was the best available goalie option.

It's hard to imagine Edmonton could not (would not) match the Larsson offer.

As for Price, I wonder if we'll ever have the full story. Angela Price's Instagram (I think) post on the night of implied pretty strongly they knew he wasn't going anywhere, but how could they know that?

In any event, age and cap hit notwithstanding, it would have just been too weird to see the Habs sans Price. 

Looks like good job by Bergie, managing to keep his goalie tandem, with Allen on a beauty of a contract. 

Edited by Thunder

4 hours ago, Thunder said:

As others have mentioned, I'm most surprised by the Carolina and Minnesota picks. I thought surely one of Bean or Nino would be picked. Also surprised no DeMelo and, to a lesser extent, no Domi.

It'll be interesting to see if some are explained by side deals. protecting Talbot over Kahkonen didn't make much sense at face value, so I'm assuming there was some kind of deal in place. Or maybe I'm just out to lunch on the guy, but I thought he was the best available goalie option.

It's hard to imagine Edmonton could not (would not) match the Larsson offer.

As a Canes fan more than happy to be able to keep both Bean and Nino. Has been mentioned by Canes reporters no side deals between the Canes/Kraken

2 minutes ago, djb738 said:

As a Canes fan more than happy to be able to keep both Bean and Nino. Has been mentioned by Canes reporters no side deals between the Canes/Kraken

I'm surprised at this though. Geekie have upside?